2023 WORLD POLICE & FIRE GAMES
POSITION TITLE: Manager, Games Operations
FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: Planning & Execution of services and Management of Venues, Transportation, Food & Beverage, Security, Essential Services, Registration, Event Services and Accreditation.
REPORTING TO: Director of Operations
INTERACTIONS: 4 Coordinators, Sport & Venue; Coordinator, Overlay; Coordinator, Venue Operations; Director of Sport; Manager, Volunteer Services; Games Volunteers; Coordinators, Volunteers; other FAs and external partners where applicable.
PLANNED CONTRACT TERM: March 1, 2022 - August 31, 2023
Salary & Benefits: The salary range for this position is $50,000-$60,000Cdn/year. In lieu of benefits, a monthly allowance of $125.00 will be provided. Business phones are not provided so a cell phone allowance of $75/month will be paid for the use of your personal phone. There are 2 weeks of vacation provided annually with additional paid time off during Christmas/New Years holidays.
OVERVIEW: The 2023 World Police & Fire Games Host Organizing Committee is looking to fill the term position of Manager, Games Operations.
In less than two years, thousands of the world’s best and brightest Police, Firefighters and Law Enforcement professionals will set their sights on Winnipeg as we host the 2023 World Police & Fire Games. More than 8,500 athletes from across the globe, 150 media, hundreds of VIPs, 500 officials and thousands of visitors will join us for the 10-day event. Featuring 61 sports and numerous cultural events and festivals, the 2023 World Police and Fire Games will be the largest event in Manitoba’s history.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Manager, Games Operations will oversee the planning and execution of the following areas by working with a number of Coordinators:
- Venues (Venue Operations, Overlay, Signage, Pageantry and Fabrication)
- Transportation (Airport, Bus Operations, Fleet Vehicle Operations, Parking)
- Security, Essential, and Event Services
- Registration and Accreditation
- To represent the 2023 World Police & Fire Games in a positive, respectful and enthusiastic manner.
- To work with a functional team to help finalize, manage and report on their functional area(s) of responsibility while ensuring rigorous adherence to the approved targets, goals, and timelines.
- To recommend, where necessary, alternative courses of action to improve efficiencies and effectiveness in order to maximize outcomes for the Host Organizing Committee.
- As a member of the Management Team, to work with other Managers and the Senior Leadership team to coordinate work between departments and teams throughout the organization. Set an example of strong teamwork and work ethic.
- Identify and implement systems and people resources to ensure they are in place to execute the plans in detail.
- Uphold a high moral character and prudent fiscal management, understanding the majority of funding to host this event is provided by the Public Sector including the Provincial, Federal, and municipal governments.
MAIN FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop a critical path for activities within the areas of responsibility of this position in consultation and cooperation with members of the Senior Leadership team and other Host Society staff.
- Liaise and collaborate with venue facility owners and staff, contractors and service providers, as required, to complete the planning and implementation process of the Venue and Operations portfolio.
- Liaise with the Venue and Sport advisory committee, organizing and attending meetings.
- Coordinate activities with other team members to ensure standardization and continuity in the event planning and implementation process (e.g. activity planning that impacts other venue areas of responsibility, etc.).
- Provide planning and progress reports and updates on a regular basis, as determined by the Senior Leadership Team.
- Participate in the recruitment, evaluation, training, work task allocation and leadership of assigned staff associated with Games Operations.
- Provide support, direction and supervision for all coordinators within your area of responsibility.
- Actively participate in the preparation and presentation of functional area volunteer training and appreciation events.
- Contribute to the development of and ensure adherence to all policies and procedures, as approved by the World Police & Fire Games Federation, in support of meeting the goals for the functional area and delivery of the games.
- Upon conclusion of the Games, prepare follow-up reports for designated areas of responsibility for inclusion in the final report
- Ensure follow-up activities related to the functions take place.
- To undertake other duties as assigned by the Director relevant to the furtherance of the goals and objectives of the Games and the position.
- Post Secondary education (some university or college studies, a degree or diploma) in sport management, event management, administration, or other related field. A combination of relevant education and experience may also be considered.
- Minimum of three to five years experience working in sport, multi-sport Games, event management and/or a sport administration environment.
- Experience in venue operations as it relates to pre-event planning, set-up, event logistics and tear down for large sporting events.
- Above average computer skills including experience creating, editing and analyzing CAD overlay drawings.
- Experience with Games management software.
- Ability to carry out the physical demands of special events including packing, lifting and loading.
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities and manage multiple projects on and off site.
- Strong organizational, written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to accuracy.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines, be flexible and work well under pressure.
- Ability to work in a team environment where duties and reporting levels are shared. Respect for the structure is essential.
- Proven supervisory skills.
- Working knowledge of the Google Apps platform is an asset.
- Bilingualism (French and English) is an asset.
- A valid driver’s licence with access to a vehicle is an asset.
*CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Formal office hours are 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.; however, flexibility will be required (and given appropriately). This may include various evening/weekend committee work, varying workload/deadlines, Games time requirements, etc.
- Supportive of the Games initiative and contribute to its success through high quality work and effort.
- Agree to follow all Employee Policies and Procedures implemented by the Host Society.
- Willing and able to meet public health requirements in order to travel internationally, attend public events, and enter into public venues.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a focus on attention to detail and communication of expectations.
- The 2023 World Police & Fire Games Host Organizing Committee is an equal opportunity employer and believes diversity strengthens us as a workplace; we encourage all those qualified to apply.
- All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada at the time of application.
- The successful candidates will be subject to a criminal record check and possibly other background checks.
Reference ID: Manager1
Contract length: 18 months
Application deadline: 2022-01-31
Expected start date: 2022-03-01
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract
Salary: $50,000.00-$60,000.00 per year
- Company events
- Flexible schedule
- On-site parking
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Some staff can work remotely if Covid risk is high.
- Secondary School (preferred)
- sports management: 2 years (preferred)