Position Title: Grocery Manager
Reports to: General Manager
Location: Iqaluit, Nunavut
This position is a permanent management position that requires relocation to Iqaluit, Nunavut.
The compensation package includes: competitive salary, subsidized housing, relocation assistance, Northern Allowance, annual vacation, travel allowance, an employer-matched pension and a comprehensive group benefits plan.
Iqaluit is the fastest growing community in Nunavut - join the team today!
Reporting to the General Manager, the Grocery Manager will be a key player on the Management Team of Arctic Ventures Marketplace. The Grocery Manager will participate with the General Manager in the management and control of all aspects of the Food Department of the operation. Key accountabilities include maintaining pricing, stocking and rotation of merchandise in the Food Department, supervision of staff, training and development of local staff, achieving specific financial performance targets of the Food Department, and providing excellent customer service. A principal objective is to ensure that all the local staff are thoroughly trained in their areas of responsibility.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- To assist General Manager in all aspects of the management and control of the Food Department, including produce, frozen foods, deli, dairy, meat and dry grocery sections;
- To work closely with General Manager in sharing information and expertise so that the management team understands all aspects of the business;
- To manage on a day-to-day basis the Food Department;
- Tour the store daily to keep the Food Department to ensure shelves and displays and bunk-ends are stocked, neat and clean;
- Utilize CASM to establish and maintain store layout and Quasar to look up, order and record inventory;
- Ensure product is rotated according to store and product standards;
- Ensure inventory counts and plan an organized system for receiving of stock;
- Conduct competitive price checks on a regular basis and review flyers for promotional and seasonal items;
- Assist General Manager in determining accurate pricing of merchandise and use of proper shelf labelling;
- Oversee the claims and product recall process;
- Adhere to all guidelines and procedures outlined in department and health and safety manuals and as set out by the General Manager and Arctic Co-ops;
- Provide top quality customer service by ensuring customers receive a positive, pleasant shopping/service experience;
- Ensure the retail store operates in a safe, professional manner at all times and that all regulations and legislated standards are adhered to;
- Work in the office area as required to ensure an understanding of the Point of Sale System – giving advice, supervision and training to employees of the operation;
- To assist the General Manager in the public relations and communications of the operation;
- To assist in the control of the operations by supervising sales, purchases, services, and contract work;
- Oversee the merchandising and display of all aspects of the Food Department;
- To prepare reports and when requested by the General Manager;
- To assist in the control and supervision of the credit, operation and personnel policies of the operation;
- Perform other duties as required so as to ensure the effective operation of Arctic Ventures Marketplace
- Three to five years retail management experience in food operations.
- Knowledge and experience in a computerized environment, including the operation and administration of Point of Sale (POS) computer systems.
- Proficient in office software packages including word processing, spreadsheets, etc.
- Strong financial management skills including the ability to review and analyze financial statements.
- Proven organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to manage inventory levels, order stock and price products to achieve gross margin targets.
- Excellent people management skills including the ability to recruit, hire, train, motivate, evaluate, correct, develop, and increase staff performance in a cross-cultural environment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Solid understanding of Co-operative principals and philosophies.
- The ability to speak and write Inuktitut would be considered a definite asset.
- Proven commitment to personal growth and development.
This is a Management position, extended hours of work, including 10-12 hours per day, 5-6 days per week are not unusual in a retail operation due to the multi-faceted nature of the businesses.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Management: 3 years (Preferred)
- Grocery: 3 years (Required)