Public Health Student Nurse - Casual - COVID-19
Competition posting date:
Competition closing date:
Ottawa Public Health, Ottawa Public Health Department, Health Promotion Service
1 or more Casual Positions
Non Union/Non MPE
$15.691 to $16.899 per hour (2020 rates of pay)
100 Constellation, Nepean
days, evenings, & weekends.
These positions will be supporting OPH for COVID-19 immediately. We are extremely grateful
for your interest in joining the OPH team; supporting our Community, during this pressing and busy time.
Reporting to a public health professional supports public health nursing practice promoting the optimal health
of groups, families, individuals and the community to maintain health and prevent disease.
Education & Experience
Post Secondary Student (completion of second year College or university): Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing
Two (2) years or more of related experience is required.
Experience in client/customer service environment.
Language, Certificates & Licenses
The successful candidate will be required to complete a Vulnerable Sector Check to the City of Ottawa’s
English oral, reading, writing required.
- Health promotion concepts
- Developmental ages and stages
- Group processes and group dynamics
- Principles of community mobilization/development
- Principles of teaching and learning
- Plan and implement a learning plan towards increased knowledge and skill development
- Learn, seek out mentorship opportunities, synthesize knowledge & skills in order to
- advance professionally
Competencies & Skills
- Utilize the nursing process
- Communicate health-related issues effectively with individuals and groups in oral and written forms
- Assess the health-related needs of individuals, families and groups and be able to apply health
- Develop skills in group facilitation/mobilization
- Utilize creative decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Set priorities and manage time effectively
- Flexible, creative, self-directed learner
- Understands the differing beliefs and value systems of others and respectful of all individuals
- Self-starter, motivated, takes initiative
- Works and learns at the same time
- Aptitude to apply knowledge and skills towards continuous development in public health
- Knowledge, understanding and respect for different cultures, beliefs and values
If this opportunity matches your interest and profile please apply online by using the "Apply"
button. If this is your first online application please refer to our resources on how to apply for jobs online.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected to continue in the selection process
will be contacted.
The City of Ottawa is committed to providing quality services by establishing a qualified workforce that
reflects the diverse population it serves. The City encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
Accessible formats and communication supports are available upon request. Please contact the
HR Service Centre at 613-580-2424, extension 47411.