Across our three hospitals and eight satellite sites, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) is shaping the future of care. Our many programs and services are designed around the needs of one of Canada’s most vibrant and diverse communities. We are home to North America’s largest nephrology program, as well as the designated cardiac care and spine centre for Scarborough and surrounding communities to the east. We are proud to be a community-affiliated teaching site for the University of Toronto and partner with a number of other universities and colleges, helping to train the next generation of health care professionals. Learn more at shn.ca
Reporting to the Patient Care Manager, the Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) is accountable for providing assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of patient care within a total patient care delivery model in accordance with the College of Nurses of Ontario, standards of practice and the Regulated Health Professionals Act. The RPN practices independently within their scope of practice when the patient(s) condition indicates predictable outcome.
The RPN will strive to engage in ethical conduct and to understand and appreciate the diversity of our patient population and workforce. As well, have the opportunity to work in a variety of programs across both campuses (Birchmount and General).
Company Vacancy/Request for Transfer:
The completion of this online form serves as your application and will be used to determine if you meet the requirements of this position. Please ensure that you have provided all pertinent information necessary to be considered for this vacancy by the close date.
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Current BCLS
- Diploma in Nursing
- Successful completion of Coronary Care 1 or willingness to obtain within 6 months of hire
- Both current experience in acute medical and surgical experiences in acute careinpatient units
- Willingness to work with a mixed aggregation of patients
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both written and verbal
- Demonstrates excellent problem-solving, decision making and critical thinking skills
- Demonstrates initiative and the ability to function both independently and as an inter-professional team member in a fast paced demanding environment
- Demonstrates excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Flexible and adaptable regarding assignment locations
- Proven strong patient assessment and observation skills with the ability to exercise sound judgment
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrates a commitment to customer service when dealing with patients, colleagues and volunteers and other members of the community and public
- Demonstrates values consistent with SHN’s Code of Conduct and is committed to fostering a healthy and positive work environment in accordance with Health & Safety policy and legislation.
- Demonstrates an understanding of and commitment to SHN's comprehensive safety programs and practices including staff safety, patient safety, and environmental safety and participates in regular in-service education in this area.
- Demonstrates excellent work performance and attendance record
- Ability to speak another language
Scarborough Health Network (SHN) embraces and celebrates our community’s unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHN is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a culture of inclusiveness and diversity reflecting our diverse patients, staff and community alike. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more about our exciting opportunities by following us on Twitter at: SHNCareers