Rainbow’s End is a vibrant, Hamilton based charity that provides working opportunities for people living with mental illness in a series of social enterprises. These enterprises include property maintenance, janitorial services, a cafe and a cafeteria.
Having experienced considerable growth since 2010 and we are now searching for dynamic, creative and socially aware individual to lead the property maintenance operations.
The Property Maintenance Supervisor will lead a team of employees in landscaping, grounds and property cleaning and janitorial work. The supervisor will leading and train them, building their skills developing new business and hiring new people. The supervisor will need to be able to undertake regular landscaping work, be a good communicator and most importantly be enthusiastic about the cause.
The initial contract is for 12 months, building on an established, residential and small commercial customer base, but it is anticipated that the successful candidate will grow and improve the performance of the property services, leading to a renewed contract.
Rainbow’s End is a very positive, collaborative and supportive environment and the Executive Director will provide oversight and guidance to the supervisor when required.
Principal duties: Assume responsibility for the property maintenance operations of Rainbow’s End.
- Screen, interview and recruit new team-members.
- Schedule work activities for team-members: prioritizing routing and efficiency.
- Lead work projects, ensuring the satisfactory and timely completion of the work.
- Providing training and guidance to employees with different levels of experience in the following areas: safe and efficient work practices, appropriate work behaviours, customer interactions and safe machine and tool usage.
Business Development Responsibilities
- Develop a simple growth plan to increase the work and employment opportunities while maintaining a positive net revenue.
- Meet with clients to plan and propose projects (landscaping, lawn maintenance, planting, tree trimming, snow clearing, janitorial and litter clearing).
- Estimate costs and provide quotes for jobs.
- Purchase raw materials and hire equipment for work.
Equipment and Procedures Responsibilities
- Develop and implement operational efficiencies and safe operating procedures.
- Ensure vehicles, trailers and equipment are correctly maintained, outfitted and safe.
- Report incidents appropriately.
- Coordinate correct billing and the reporting of hours with the Office Manager.
- Manage and resolve on-site issues (manage customer expectations and employee issues).
- Attend training courses relevant to landscaping, deck restoration.
- Represent Rainbow’s End at trade shows and events.
Qualifications/ Skills Required: The applicant should be an enthusiastic supporter of social enterprises and a cause crusader for support of mental health recovery. They will need:
- Landscaping work experience be able to teach good work practices and use equipment safely.
- Knowledge of simple janitorial tasks.
- Flexibility to work extended hours on infrequently but as needed.
- Coaching/counselling experience.
- Training/facilitation experience.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to meet targets.
- The ability to take initiative and work independently.
- be a problem solver and practical individual.
- A clean drivers license.
- To be comfortable with use of a personal credit card and submitting expense claims is part of our operating procedures.
- Company vehicles are available but it is also necessary to have the use of a personal vehicle with mileage expensed.
We require the candidate to demonstrate patience and an empathy for working with crews who have a range of different levels of experience and skills.
A laptop computer and cell phone are provided and competent use of both is required (MS Office, Adobe etc.).
It would be advantageous for the supervisor to have an awareness of plants, soil, weed management and pesticide use but most of landscaping work is focused on grass cutting, planting, trimming and re-sodding.
Certifications: Certification in any area relating to teaching or mentoring and landscaping would be an advantage but not essential.
Work Experience: Any candidate with experience of home landscaping along with good team-working and training skills would be considered for this role. Multiple years' work of work in landscaping or in a teaching / training position would be a good background.
A good attitude to working hard and to work relentlessly to help build employment opportunities for people with lived experience of mental illness is the the most significant part of this role.
A background check will be conducted and good references will be needed.
1 year contract is available and a part-time can be an option.
Salary (annually): $40 - 50k annually dependent on experience. Flexible hours and working days are negotiable. Work is almost exclusively in the in Hamilton/Burlington area, so avoiding a long commute are part of the benefits of working at Rainbow’s End.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Contract
- Teaching: 1 year (Preferred)
- Landscaping: 1 year (Preferred)
- Mentoring: 1 year (Preferred)
- Hamilton, ON (Preferred)