Who we are
At OnDeck we’re building a better future for the world's oceans. We do this by building world-leading AI research into world-changing products. Backed by organizations such as the Environmental Defense Fund, Ocean Wise, and industry, we stand at the forefront of AI for conservation and marine resources.
Our team of exceptionally talented engineers and industry experts thrive in fast-paced, innovative environments. We are continuously pushing the boundaries of what is possible, developing cutting-edge marine conservation tools that genuinely change the course of the world's fisheries.
We are seeking standout team players who want to use their skills to make a dent in the universe. If you love tackling complex challenges, and you’re keen to scale with a startup reaching new heights, apply below.
We're hiring for two software engineering positions to help spearhead development:
Skills and technical abilities will largely overlap, but with different focuses:
- Traditional API and cloud development: We're looking for someone with seasoned experience building robust APIs and cloud architecture at scale. Front-end experience is a nice to have.
- MLOps and automation: Ideal candidates have experience building custom ML workflows and data engines, serving models, and inference pipelines, working closely alongside our ML team.
What you'll be doing
As an early engineer on our team, you will own the core of our technology’s cloud software and machine learning infrastructure. There is a huge variety of components that you’ll contribute to, from front-end, to data solutions, to deployment and MLOps. You will be designing and building services for each of these components. You will also be building out the customer-facing APIs for our products. We provide a lot of autonomy, we prioritize our engineers, and we keep you involved in the rapid evolution of the business, and in turn we expect you to effectively plan your development, communicate frequently and document as you go.
As a team working on large systems that are constantly iterating and scaling up and down, we also expect our engineers to build reusable staging and testing CI/CD pipelines and follow industry standard design principles for understandable, maintainable codebases. While things may be scrappy and we may not have 100% coverage as a startup, we’re in the business of building high quality, long lasting software. In summary you will :
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and enhance large scale software solutions.
- Provide technical leadership across the entire company’s systems.
- Ensure clear, performant API development alongside product team/exec team & customers.
- Communicate with leadership about project priorities, timelines, and deliverables.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science or a related field
- Previous software engineering work experience
- Experience working with several or more of the following:
- Machine learning and computer vision
- Full-stack development
- Cloud development
- Unix/Linux environments
- Distributed and parallel systems
- Databases and data storage solutions
- Experience designing cloud software architecture for MLOps and SaaS products
- Strong technical communication skills in English, both written and verbal
- Enthusiasm for building software that revolutionizes fisheries monitoring and research
- Master's or Ph.D. in Computer Science or a related field
- 1-5+ years of full-time, non-internship work experience, especially in high-impact roles in smaller organizations
- Experience designing and implementing large scale consumer-facing APIs and web platforms
- Experience developing visualization tools and dashboards
- Experience with frontend frameworks (React, Angular, Next.js)
- Experience with PyTorch, TensorFlow, and other modern machine learning frameworks/tools
- Experience with infrastructure as code and MLOps
- Experience with AWS or equivalent (GCP, Azure)
- Proficiency in setting up and using CI/CD tools (e.g., GitHub Actions, AWS CodePipeline, Google CloudBuild, Jenkins)
- Knowledge of containerization and orchestration for large-scale deployment (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Ability to develop accessible technologies
- Willingness and aptitude to learn additional technologies and frameworks as needed
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $80,000.00-$120,000.00 per year
- In 1-2 sentences, why do you think you're a good fit for this role?
- Any comments or notes you would like to share with the team?
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Vancouver, BC V6E 1A7