You are looking to make some extra money at the same time as making a difference in health care. You have a passion in providing exceptional care and are available to work nights, days, evenings and weekends. We are looking for staff that have open availability, have experience working in a call centre, managing a switchboard and enjoy answering patient or client inquiries. If you are available to work nights, days, evenings and/or weekends, we want to hear from you!
What you’ll do
- Answer a multi-line computerized Switchboard phone system.
- Answer all incoming calls from within the hospital and externally.
- Take patient calls and provide support for their inquiries
- Offer assistance to patients who may be having issues and pass them on to the correct departments, as needed
- Ask fact-finding questions and provide information in a prompt and courteous manner.
- Respond to all emergency calls in an accurate and timely manner while following the established protocols for each.
- Respond to hospital alarms (emergency and non-emergency) in a timely manner as per established protocols (i.e.: code blue, code white, code pink etc.)
- Operate overhead public address system (PA)as per established guidelines.
- View a detailed online scheduling database in order to accurately page medical staff.
- Update on-call schedules and process incoming emails.
What you bring
- Grade 12 and 1 year recent related experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Relatable experience includes experience: working in Call Centre, as a Booking Clerk, Medical Office Assistant, Staffing Clerk, in-bound call centre, Receptionist experience are all assets!
- Ability to keyboard at 40 WPM.
- Willingness to learn
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Active listening skills to determine and address patient needs
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and compassionate environment
- Must have open availability and be able to pick up shifts that are on a short call and range from overnights/graveyards, evenings, weekends and days
Job Type: Casual (Casual is defined as on-call) Shift can range between days, nights, evenings and weekends
Wage: $23.81 per hour + 12.6% in lieu. If Weekends and Overnights are required, a premium may be paid.
Location: Vancouver General Hospital (Jim Pattison Pavilion, 899 W 12th Ave, Vancouver, BC V5Z 1M9) and St. Paul’s Hospital
Hours: Days, nights, evenings and weekends
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development. Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
What we do
Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Casual
Salary: $23.81 per hour
- Day shift
- Night shift
- On call