The United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW) Local 401 is Alberta’s largest private sector union with 32,000 members working in diverse industries such as retail, food processing, beverage production, hospitality, gaming, and education. We are part of the 1.3-million-member United Food and Commercial Workers International Union, representing working people across North America.
Our growing local union is currently seeking a Graphic Designer to work with us on a contract basis, performing freelance work on special projects. The successful candidate will have a passion for helping and communicating with working people and telling their stories creatively and in a relevant manner while promoting the values of our union.
The successful candidate may work remotely but will liaise closely with staff at our Calgary office. We offer attractive compensation for the work performed as well as the opportunity to be bold and creative, communicating visually the stories and realities of our members to diverse audiences.
Primarily responsibilities and competencies include, without limitation, the following:
- Work with senior communications staff to conceptualize, design, and develop branding and content (i.e. posters, social media content, promotional materials, etc.) for union campaigns, events, and strategic communications plans;
- Develop and design artwork that reflects and effectively conveys key organizational messages;
- Develop an understanding of the diverse audiences of our union, ranging from the media and the public to small and large, multinational employers and union members working in diverse industries with varied cultural, educational, and linguistic backgrounds and identities.
- Diploma or Certificate in Graphic Design or Digital Media Studies and/or a Degree in communications, marketing, or public relations, or equivalent, plus 1-3 years of relevant experience in graphic design, digital media, marketing, communications, public relations, or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge, skills, and competencies are acquired;
- Proficient knowledge and skills related to marketing, public relations, and communications;
- Ability to work under tight deadlines;
- Ability to understand and convey union messages and vision with a high degree of creativity and sensitivity;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills;
- High level of proficiency in the use of Adobe products, especially InDesign;
- Outstanding attention to detail;
- Must have experience communicating effectively through social media platforms, including without limitation, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
To apply, please complete and submit your resume, cover letter, and a representative sample of your work.
Only candidates selected to be interviewed will be contacted, though we thank and appreciate all interested applicants.
Job Types: Contract, Freelance