- Assist in planning, scheduling, and implementation of appropriate aquatic programming targeted at a variety of populations (children, youth, adult, senior, etc) and abilities.
- Ensure quality service and product is received by all members and customers. Ensure all instructional programming meets and exceeds program provider standards as well as internally established policies and procedures.
- Develop and integrate new, unique, and innovating ideas and teaching/delivery methods through the effective use of internal and external resources.
- Monitor program and budgetary quotas.
- Recommend and update policies / best practice standards pertaining to programs and services.
- Ensure day-to-day registration processes are followed including ongoing communication and education with customer service personnel as it relates to aquatic programs.
- Organize orientation, training, and professional development opportunities for aquatic team.
- Assign tasks, workload, schedules, and responsibilities to ensure high quality service. Supervise both full time and part time employees ensuring human resource policies are adhered to (including ongoing performance appraisals).
- Accountable for safeguarding and managing municipal assets including money, supplies, and equipment.
- Assist in preparing messaging / marketing strategies to recruit and retain new customers / groups (including the addition of new revenue streams).
- Perform continuous risk management and communicate needs or concerns to appropriate personnel.
- Inventory control and ordering of program and pool supplies/equipment.
- Completion of various project work; including program curriculum development.
- Attend and actively engage in ongoing training and professional development opportunities.
- Perform, in a cooperative manner, other duties associated to the safe and effective operation of the Canada Games Centre as determined necessary by Manager, Recreation & Program Services.
Mandatory (to be maintained as a condition of employment)
- National Lifeguard Service Award (NLS)
- Pool Option (Current within two years)
- Instructional Awards: (current within two years – minimum of one award)
- Lifesaving Instructor (LSI)
- Water Safety Instructor (WSI)
- Swim for Life Instructor
- Standard First Aid (Current within two years)
- CPR-C and/or HCP (Current within one year) * Experience in program development and implementation in a busy recreation environment.
- Experience in supervising and providing leadership to aquatic staff.
- AED Responder
- Oxygen Therapy Provider
- National Lifeguard Service Instructor
- Lifesaving Instructor Trainer
- Water Safety Instructor Trainer
- CPR / FA Instructor
- Previous training / experience in Aqua Fitness
- 2-4 years’ work experience in an aquatic role preferred.
- Post-secondary education in a relevant field and/or a combination of award certifications and experience deemed equivalent.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proven ability to work collaboratively within an aquatic team, as well as independently.
- Ability to promote drowning prevention through public education, demonstration, and special events.
- Ability to develop sustainable partnership and network with both customers and key stakeholders.
- Exceptional communication skills (both verbally and in writing). Prepares and conducts presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to accept responsibility, work with minimum direction and be able to exercise prudent judgment.
- Ability and willingness to be flexible in a high paced, developing environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain respectful, cooperative, and professional working relationships with colleagues, supervisors, users, and community.
- Experience dealing with various populations (individuals, families, groups, corporate, seniors, etc.)
- Knowledge of trends in the delivery of aquatic leisure programs and services.
- Requirement to work flexible hours (early morning, day, evening, and weekends).
- Working environment includes physical, emotional, and mental demands on infrequent occasion.
- Safe lifting, carrying, and rescue techniques (use of a rescue aid in the water and coordination of rescue with a second rescuer, when possible, are required by the employer).
- Safe use of all protective / barrier equipment is required by the employer.
- Exposure to loud noises and ability to concentrate in a busy environment.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $3,500.00 to $41,500.00 /year
- Supervising: 3 years (Required)
- lifeguarding: 5 years (Required)
- teaching aquatic programs: 5 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)
- Bathurst Area, NB (Preferred)
- English (Required)
- French (Required)