Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week:
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The Western Communications team provides strategic advice to university senior leadership, faculty, staff and teams of internal and external communications staff across Western in order to build the university’s brand on a local, national and global scale.
Reporting to the Executive Director, Strategic Brand & Marketing, the Manager, Marketing Strategy & Planning will be responsible for managing the development and implementation of marketing campaigns that align to Western’s strategic priorities. The Manager will manage the strategic development, implementation, monitoring, and assessment of a broad range of marketing initiatives, with a goal of building and promoting Western's brand and reputation locally, nationally, and internationally. The Manager will also serve as a strategic advisor to leaders and communications staff across campus related to marketing initiatives and branding, and will contribute to ensuring consistency and marketing best practices. In addition, the Manager, Marketing Strategy & Planning will manage the development and implementation of new and revised marketing communications processes and practices as directed, with a focus on positioning Western as one of Canada's leading research-intensive Universities.
- Undergraduate Degree in Marketing, Communications, Business Administration or other related field
- International Association of Business Communicators Designation preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 7 years' experience in marketing and communications, with experience managing the development and execution of large-scale marketing campaigns
- Experience in a post-secondary environment is preferred
- In-depth knowledge of e-communication tools, including website and graphic design principles and of social media platforms, relevant to our core audiences (prospective and current students, alumni, etc.)
- In-depth experience using social media channels specifically to execute marketing campaigns – including executing media buys through these channels as well as leveraging dashboards for reporting on campaign metrics/ success
- In-depth experience communicating with representatives from digital and traditional media outlets to negotiate media buys, approaches to content development and placement, etc.
- In-depth knowledge of marketing trends and best practices
- Ability to collaborate across internal and external boundaries to meet common objectives, improve outcomes and support work beyond one's own unit
- Ability to establish effective routines for excellent communication with all members of project teams to maximize productivity
- Capacity and skills to work with marketing technology and data-driven environments
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills to build consensus across functions and levels and express views clearly
- Project management skills to manage multiple projects simultaneously from conception to completion within tightly prescribed timelines
- A strong problem solver with the ability to think both analytically and creatively to effectively drive objectives
- Media skills with solid communications judgment to present and package information to maximize interest
- Ability to analyze metrics and consider past communications to craft engaging written and visual communications using social media or other appropriate channels
- Ability to deal confidentially with information that has financial, political, regulatory and reputational implications
- Ability to think creatively and use a non-prescriptive approach in marketing and communications initiatives
- Critical thinking and analytical skills to assess complex higher education issues of concern to stakeholders, including the media, the public, and prospective donors
- Ability to draw on diversity of skills, backgrounds and knowledge of people to achieve more effective results
- Ability to delegate work and provide team members with clear direction and support in meeting their objectives
- Ability to search within and outside the formal boundaries of the organization for innovative ways to improve work
- Ability to develop strategies that are in line with the University's mission and which balance competing priorities
- Familiarity with University policies and procedures preferred
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.