In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of PHSA, safety, including both patient and employee safety, is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA. As such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
Within the context of the Information Management Information Technology Services (IMITS) lower mainland consolidated area that provides services to Vancouver Coastal Health, Providence Health Care, and Provincial Health Services Authority and other lower mainland consolidated services (VPPL), the Application Programmer Analyst reports to the Manager or designate in this professional level job that works with independence within a multi-site health care environment. For assigned portfolio, the Application Programmer Analyst helps in building/supporting complex IMITS systems/solutions by applying a broad range of information technology experience and knowledge including application architecture practices and procedures, understanding of the concepts of reuse around applications and service-oriented architecture services plus hands-on experience with MS SQL and Oracle Server and build\design queries using Discern Analytics 2.0 in order to carry out in-depth analysis on complex systems/applications. This position draws on a high level of expertise in the management of a medium to large scale development environment, providing technical advice to help translate business needs into requirement technical specifications. The Programmer Analyst gathers detailed information from clients, completes impact analysis, and applies multiple technical solutions to business problems; troubleshoots, problem-solves and analyses system incidents; and examines and identifies issues and formulates solutions. Creates white papers, detailed work and project plans, and product roadmaps, the Application Programmer Analyst plays a key role within the team, carrying out product assessments, drafting standards, performing security reviews, and assisting with the development the framework for systems development. Ensures completion of own work assignments and refers issues to supervisor.
- Cerner Operations – utilizes CCL (Cerner Command Language) to carry out responsibilities.
1. Responds to system incidents and other tickets via the service desk by performing tasks such as gathering information and feedback from user department, investigating and prioritizing incidents and tickets according to potential impact, analyzing and diagnosing problems and formulating solutions, escalating unresolved incidents and tickets as required, and communicating progress on tickets to the service desk, customers, and/or other teams.
2. Provides consulting related to the acquisition of new systems and standards or the implementation of new applications on existing systems by methods such as discussing client requirements, identifying issues and suggesting modifications, and advising on system options. Ensure backup, recovery, and disaster recovery strategies and activities for all application environments are maintained and followed in the case of an emergency.
3. Provides system troubleshooting for complex Web, client server and n-tier database issues including performance tuning and security. Assesses and implements database updates and upgrades that affect the application environment. Incorporates new trends in development methodologies. Installs, configures, tests and maintains software.
4. Drafts standard operating procedures, process, and best practices for application deployment and change control. Participates in project teams to ensure development activities adhere to implementation standards and practices. Assists in developing and maintaining the System Development Life Cycle processes and methodologies.
5. Participates in development and implementation of a development framework including development standards, tools, reports, interfaces and documentation requirements for new and existing application. Implements and follows processes and procedures relative to change control.
6. Participates in projects including the evaluation and implementation of improvements to the overall environment, assisting with the development and monitoring of project budgets, preparing reports and conducting briefings. In conjunction with senior staff or manager, participates in contract negotiations with vendors by providing feedback.
7. Documents own work and actions taken, updates assigned ticket information with client provided information, maintains accurate team records, and updates information related to workflows in accordance with standard operating procedures. Creates and updates documentation to internal websites and SharePoint sites.
8. Attends team meetings, participates in team discussions and projects, and actively participates in continuous quality and process improvement activities by reviewing job workflow, reporting system issues and errors, and providing input/feedback to the Manager/Team Lead such as identifying roadblocks and inefficiencies, and proposing possible solutions.
9. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education, Training and Experience
- Graduation from a recognized degree or diploma program in Computer Science, plus three (3) years' recent related experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- May be required to travel and/or participate in an on-call rotation.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to operate related equipment.