A Career Opportunity
UNICEF is the world’s farthest-reaching humanitarian organization for children. Across 190 countries and territories, and in the world’s toughest places, we work day in and day out to help children survive. To defend their rights. To keep them protected, healthy and educated. To give them a fair chance to fulfil their potential. Our work for every child relies entirely on voluntary support, including donations from generous Canadians.
Chief of Staff to the President and CEO, UNICEF Canada
(Permanent; Full time; Flexible; Hybrid; based in Toronto)
UNICEF Canada is seeking a collaborative, curious, high-performing individual who is a proven strategic thinker with a strong attention to detail to play a key role in support of the entire UNICEF Canada team. We’re seeking an individual with a track-record of working with C-level executives, supporting the development of strong communications and engagement agendas, and experience in developing and/or tracking strategic plans and priorities. The preferred candidate will be a strong communicator with exceptional writing and verbal communication skills; have familiarity with driving a thought-leadership agenda; and have experience helping to develop and build strong teams across a high-performing culture.
This is a key leadership role within the Office of the President and CEO of UNICEF Canada which will help drive strategic focus, track key operational priorities, enhance collaborative and engagement opportunities across the UNICEF Canada staff team, Board of Directors, UNICEF family and partners, and maximize the effectiveness of the Office of the CEO of UNICEF Canada as we mobilize and empower Canadians to invest in the positive transformation of every child’s future.
The Chief of Staff provides strategic counsel and support to the CEO related to cross-functional special projects, and internal/external engagement opportunities. The Chief of Staff should have the capabilities and professional judgement mirrored at the executive level to be able to promote the ideas, goals and priorities of the organization and its mission.
Based in Toronto, as a flexible, hybrid in-person/remote role, the Chief of Staff works closely with the President and CEO, the Executive Leadership Team, the Manager, Board Relations, and Executive Team, and serves as a member of UNICEF Canada’s Senior Leadership Teams.
The responsibilities of the position will include, but are not limited to:
Strategic Planning and Operational Priorities (35%):
· Works with the CEO and the entire senior leadership team to help drive collaborative organizational progress on the strategic plan across the organization. Engages cross-functional organizational teams and leads to ensure that deadlines, shared goals, KPIs (key performance indicators) and risks are communicated, tracked, and mitigated regularly.
· Works with ELT to organize quarterly strategic planning sessions with the SLT, bi-annual strategic planning sessions with the ELT and other all-team meetings on strategic planning at regular town-hall and dedicated sessions.
· Works with the CEO and Manager, Board Relations and Executive Team, on strategic board relations including quarterly update materials from the CEO, and annual strategic planning sessions and supporting documents.
Executive Thought-Leadership (25%):
· The Chief of Staff works in partnership with the communications, international programs, and advocacy teams to develop and lead the external thought-leadership program.
· Includes drafting briefs and conceptual outlines; identifying external speaking engagements that augment the UNICEF brand and awareness with key audiences; contributing to external blog and other posts for CEO commentary on key issues UNICEF is driving; and supporting the CEO in drafting speeches and presentations for external audiences to ensure high visibility on the work UNICEF is doing for children and adolescents around the world across its various thematic areas for critical impact.
Employee Engagement and Culture (20%):
· Works directly with the CEO, in partnership with the COO, Director, People and Organizational Development and Director, Anti-Racism, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, to support a robust employee engagement program.
· Advises the CEO and ELT on opportunities to enhance and grow a strong culture of diversity and inclusion across UNICEF Canada. Includes providing advice on the internal engagement opportunities and platforms.
CEO Program and Content Briefings (20%):
· The Chief of Staff works in partnership with the Manager, Board Relations, and Executive Team, along with members of the UNICEF Canada Fundraising, Programs, Communications and other teams to ensure the CEO is prepared for briefings and external stakeholder meetings; international program visits; domestic trips and external engagements, etc. with advance content dives where required, briefing notes, draft speaking remarks and engagement plans with partners in advance of such opportunities.
The ideal candidate will have:
· Strong drive, deep curiosity, and a desire to have impact
· Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
· Proven experience advising C-level executives on strategic, organizational and communication matters
· Deep collaboration skills
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build effective relationships and influence at all levels of an organization
· Fluency in English (French or second language an asset)
· Experience supporting an organization’s efforts in diversity, equity, inclusion, and engagement
· Post-secondary education in a related field
· Minimum of 5-10 years of experience in related professional experience
· Reflects the values of UNICEF Canada including working with respect and inclusiveness, collaboratively, supports a knowledge sharing and learning environment, and drives impactful results
Salary Range: $106,000 to $131,000 per year.
What we offer
UNICEF Canada strongly supports workplace wellness and offers the following benefits:
- Extended Health and Dental Benefits with Health Care Spending Account
- Life insurance and AD&D
- Short Term Disability (STD)
- Long Term Disability (LTD)
- Employer contributions (5%) to Group Pension plan
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- 2 paid personal days
- 10 paid sick days
- Maternity and Parental leave top-up
- 4 weeks of annual leave (vacation time increases with time served)
- One additional day of vacation on the anniversary of each year of service, up to a maximum of 30 days
- Staff Appreciation Days
- Learning and Development Opportunities
- Discounted rate for a GoodLife membership
For consideration, please submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected] September 22, 2023. Please attach your cover letter (including salary expectations) and resume as one documentand reference “Chief of Staff” clearly in the subject heading.
UNICEF Canada sincerely thanks all applicants for their expressed interest in this opportunity, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Consistent with our Child Safeguarding Policy, the successful candidate must receive clearance by a police background check, including a vulnerable sector screen.
UNICEF Canada is an inclusive workplace and is committed to championing diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the requirements for the position.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $106,000.00-$131,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Paid time off
- Work from home
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Toronto, ON M4P 2Y3: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Do you have 5 years of experience advising C-level executives on strategic planning, organizational and communication matters? Yes or No?
- Are you based in Toronto? Yes or No?
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Toronto, ON M4P 2Y3
Application deadline: 2023-09-22
Expected start date: 2023-10-16