This is a reposted position. Previous applicants are not required to re-apply.
Northern Zone, Aberdeen Hospital
OPNZ Enterostomy EDMDU
Type of Employment:
Hourly PT long-assignment (40% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Posting Closing Date:
Open Until Filled
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
Reporting to the Health Services Manager, the Nurse Specialized in Wound, Ostomy & Continence (NSWOC) provides leadership and applies evidence-based, advanced nursing knowledge, skills and judgement specific to wound, ostomy, and continence care in providing care to all individuals. As an independent practitioner within an inter-professional and collaborative team, the NSWOC acts as a resource and consultant for healthcare professionals and provides education and support to patients and families.
- Current registration with the Nova Scotia College of Nursing.
- Graduate of an accredited Wound, Ostomy and Continence Education Program (WOC-EP).
- Current membership with the Nurses Specialized in Wound, Ostomy, & Continence Canada (NSWOCC).
- Minimum five (5) years nursing experience.
- The ability to work independently and as an effective team member.
- Current Heart & Stroke certification in BCLS.
- Demonstrated excellent communication and interpersonal skills with strong decision making, critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Experience developing education tools and providing education to staff, patients and families.
- Demonstrated ability to develop relationships and work collaboratively and effectively with patients, families and health care professionals.
- Current WHMIS Certification.
- Proficiency in computer applications including Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, Power Point) and Outlook.
- Successful Applicants are required to provide a criminal record check (including Vulnerable Sector Search) before starting employment and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment.
- B.Sc.N or BN degree.
- Minimum one (1) year experience with ostomies, complex wound care and continence.
- Current Heart & Stroke Certification in ACLS.
- Certification in Non-Violent Crisis Intervention/willingness to enroll.
- Two (2) years recent demonstrated continuing nursing education.
- Previous work attendance may be considered.
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred.
Applicants will be screened on the above qualifications. Applicants must clearly demonstrate how they meet the knowledge and competencies in their cover letter and resume. Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application. Applicants will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or missing information.
Hours of Work
Part-Time (40%) Position; 30 hours biweekly
Long-Assignment, commencing as soon as possible for approximately one year
Dates are approximate and may be subject to change
$41.3990 - $47.1507 hourly
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
Successful external applicants will be required to submit the below documents and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment. Additional documentation such as banking & proof of identity will be included in your offer letter.
Criminal Record Check
Proof of education & training certifications
Proof of any additional required qualification
Valid registration with the relevant licensing body
Submission of immunization record along with health assessment documentation
Proof of SIN number
Hiring Process will depend on the timeliness of delivering the above. This is a Nursing bargaining unit - NSNU position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment. Only online applications are accepted.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.
Follow us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NSHA.Recruitment/