At the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT), we are the shapers. The makers. The originals, driven by a passion for excellence and results that count. We offer action-based learning, solution-focused research and enterprising collaborations with partners from around the world. We are a global leader in applied education, an Alberta Top Employer and a destination workplace empowering people to make a difference in the lives of students. Now is an exciting time to join this one-of-a-kind place … SAIT.
Applied Research and Innovation Services (ARIS) is SAIT’s gateway to innovation and applied research projects for students, faculty and industry partners. ARIS has over 60 applied research staff and completes over 55 applied research projects per year. Core applied research areas include green building technologies, environmental technologies, clean energy, RFID development, unmanned systems and internet of things (IoT) applications. Support services offered include: project and technology evaluation and development, design and fabrication, prototyping, software development, product and materials testing and validation, and access to grant funding.
Reporting to the Director of Applied Research and Innovation Services (ARIS), the Research Associate leads the Green Building Technologies unit. In this position, the Research Associate is the program manager, subject matter expert, and a mentor for students and direct reports. Leading a team of Principal Investigator(s), research assistants or student interns, including overseeing their performance. The Research Associate is accountable for developing and implementing the applied research program plan, including promoting and overseeing student applied research, writing grant applications, developing and implementing project proposals, initiating contract negotiations, prototype or process design, testing, data collection and analysis. As the Research Associate you’ll have financial responsibility for the program area, including Federal and Provincial grant reporting, contract management for the Principal Investigators, research assistants or interns, and capital purchases. Providing regular reports on the progress of the applied research activity and the financial status of the program area.
Note: this is a temporary salaried role with an end date of April 30, 2024.
- Collaborate with industry clients to lead, develop and maintain an applied research plan while ensuring program relevance
- Manage projects, resources and supervision of personnel on behalf of SAIT and industry partners including final project reporting and financial accountability
- Execute the department's applied research plan by cultivating new industry and government contacts
- Develop and manage external partnerships to strengthen SAIT’s institutional positioning
- Meet the goals of SAIT strategic research plan and produce short and long term sponsored project milestones and metrics,
- Maintain positive relationships with representatives from government and private funding bodies
- Ensure adherence to externally imposed funder & sponsor terms and conditions including reporting and record keeping requirements contained in the award document where applicable
- Develop, submit, and lead applied research project proposals for private and public sponsorship in collaboration with the ARIS Grants Team
- Complete contract negotiations with industry partners/clients including forecasting project costs and timelines
- Mentor, manage and supervise Principal Investigators, research assistants, student interns, etc. Including hiring and performance management
- Ensure confidentiality and intellectual property management integrity is adhered to
- Set up and maintain safe applied research laboratory facilities
- Project manage the Applied Research areas team including maintaining the production schedule for the labs
- Responsible for the scientific integrity and the overall management of the sponsored projects of the applied research program
- Overseeing the financial management of the applied research program and the labs
- Developing the annual budget and cost estimates on a project
- Monthly entry of financial information to ensure accurate financial reporting
- Required completing of HR related forms
- Approving credit card statements ensuring compliance in all financial and purchasing policies and practices
- Post-secondary education at a bachelor’s level, preferably a Master’s or PhD level or requisite level of experience to compensate for lack of education.
- 8+ years’ experience within business, technical or an applied research environment.
- Training in the field of: Design, Architecture, Alternative Energy, Construction Engineering, Building Science, or similar is preferred.
- Strong technical skills and aptitude.
- Proposal writing experience.
- Creative, innovative, change is positive, mindset.
- Professional affiliations, robust customer interaction and people management experience.
Why Work at SAIT
Enjoy a stimulating work environment, a beautiful campus overlooking downtown Calgary and a great benefits package including: comprehensive health and dental coverage, a defined benefit pension plan, professional development programs, generous paid time off, free access to our Wellness Centre, transit subsidies and more.
Why Work at SAIT
Please continue with the online application process by visiting our website at: https://sait.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?id=465&site=1
All applications should be made through our online system.
SAIT is committed to equity and diversity within its community and invites applications from all qualified applicants.
APT: This position is union exempt in our Administration, Professional and Technical group
Conditions of Employment
In order to ensure and maintain a safe and secure working and learning environment, all applicants to the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology must complete and pass a police security clearance before employment is confirmed. Employment is conditional until a satisfactory police security clearance is obtained and confirmed. Employment with SAIT will not commence until the results have been provided and confirmed.
SAIT’s vision is to be a global leader in applied education.
Job Type: Full-time
- within business, technical or an applied research: 8 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)