*******Please submit www.trentu.ca/employment to apply for this position. Applications submitted through job boards will not be accepted.**********
Under the general supervision of the Department Chair, provides secretarial services to the Chair, the Associate Chair, other assigned faculty and scientific staff. Performs a variety of administrative and clerical duties related to the operation of the Department. Works with the Departmental Coordinator to ensure that all Departmental needs are covered, and that the office is open to the public during as many business hours as possible.
1. Administers and co-ordinates the business of the Department office, addressing faculty, student, and public questions (e.g. complaints, concerns, and general information) by interpreting policy; acts as an effective spokesperson for the Department, receiving, interpreting and conveying verbal and written information with clarity; provides advice and leadership in advising improvements to existing Department policy and procedures with a view to ensuring maximum office efficiency and client satisfaction.
2. Arranges appointments, screens calls in person, by e-mail and by phone; sends and receives faxes; answers routine correspondence, memoranda, and e-mail on own initiative or with brief instruction. Maintains awareness of items to be brought forward or followed up and produces memoranda/documents for signature of Chair. Uses discretion when handling confidential material.
3. Opens and sorts incoming mail and email, attaches related material for Chair’s use; answers routine correspondence on own initiative or from brief verbal. Prepares and distributes posters of department information.
4. Types correspondence, memoranda; maintains departmental information boards; uploads material to departmental Blackboard site as required by Chairs and faculty members.
5. Maintains Departmental and student files and records, and when requested, selects and compiles information and statistics from these records. (Student enrolment, audit data, staffing, teaching load, class size, etc.).
6. Compiles and maintains departmental records for hirings, job advertisements, course offerings, registration, honours applications, tenure and promotion, class lists, academic summaries.
7. Books laptop, projectors and other teaching equipment that is housed within the biology office. Secures teleconference or any other tech equipment required for placement and internship communication.
8. Under general supervision of Chair, liaises with Office of the Registrar regarding policy and procedures.
9. Acts as a troubleshooter for office equipment, including printer, photocopier and fax machine and public photocopier, by resolving problems as they arise.
10. Liaises with Trent in Oshawa by providing information on course offerings and instructors.
11. Orders and monitors departmental office supplies; has signing authority (up to $1,500 maximum) for departmental expenditures.
12. Monitors use of, and manages bookings of, departmental meeting rooms.
13. Monitors, maintains and reports the use of the public photocopier to the Printshop
14. Provides secretarial support to Chair and assigned faculty; assists with timetabling, calendar copy, brochures, publicity material (including viewbook); co-ordinates honours information sessions.
15. Works with other staff to advertise, interview and hire TWSP student.
16. Manages the administration and summarization of course evaluations
17. Sorts and redirects mail in the department mailroom.
18. Assists in organizing visiting speakers, conferences, workshops, receptions, etc., including transportation, accommodation, publicity and honoraria. Assists with arrangements for faculty recruitment (travel, accommodation, scheduling, etc.).
19. Assists in orienting new, sessional and part-time faculty, co-ordinates office space schedules.
20. As directed by course instructors, may order desk copies from bookstore or publisher. Conducts initial review of course syllabi and forwards to appropriate office.
21. Collates from instructors the book orders for course textbooks and submits to bookstore in timely manner.
22. Arranges Department and committee meetings (prepares and distributes agenda, distributes meeting materials as directed), makes room bookings, takes meeting minutes, attends placement and internship meetings when note taking is required.
23. Manages faculty c.v. database
24. Summarizes marking support needs each semester
25. Oversees hiring paperwork for teaching and marking assistants.
26. Updates office staff vacation calendar based on scheduled vacations approved by Chair.
27. Assists with OUPFB registration and grade submission;
28. Shreds confidential documents as per the FIPPA regulations.
- Secondary school diploma plus two years university, college or technical school training.
1. Over one year experience as administrative assistant.
2. Proficient in the use of computer applications such as intermediate level word processing (MS Word) and spreadsheets (Excel)
3. Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
4. Demonstrated skills in, and commitment to, customer service and continuous improvement.
Reference ID: SO-022
Contract length: 3 months
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary, Contract
Salary: $24.98 to $29.49 /hour