Software Developer - Transcranial FUS Treatment Device
Sunnybrook Research Institute - Temporary Full-Time
Would you like to help invent the future of healthcare? Sunnybrook Research Institute is developing a revolutionary medical device to non-invasively treat brain tumours and a variety of neurological disorders using focused ultrasound (FUS). The engineering team is actively looking for committed, motivated, and experienced individuals to aid in software development.
The project has attracted global attention, and garnered significant private and public funding. (https://sunnybrook.ca/foundation/media/item.asp?c=2&i=2061&f=grant-weston-family-focused-ultrasound-initiative)
The Transcranial FUS Treatment Device is a true marvel of engineering, integrating many fields including electrical/electronics, software, mechanical, and materials engineering. It is the frontier of medicine, sits at the crossroads of physics, biology, and chemistry, and is only akin to what the rocket was for space exploration.
The successful candidate will join our talented and growing team to develop professional-grade and safety-critical software. Based on an individual basis, development activities may involve algorithm design, concurrent and parallel processing, user interface development, data visualization, image processing, network programming, and embedded/firmware development.
The successful candidate can expect:
- A safe, supportive, friendly, and diverse working environment
- Excellent mentorship from experienced engineers and scientists
- Encouragement to try new and innovative ways to solve difficult problems
- A competitive salary and excellent benefits package
- Undergraduate degree in software engineering, computer engineering, computer science (or equivalent with a focus on software design and development)
- 2+ years industry experience as a software engineer/developer
- Strong understanding of and experienced in applying object-oriented development techniques, design patterns, threading and concurrency
- Command of the C++ and Python programming languages
- Experience developing under the agile software development framework
- Demonstrated ability to write clean and readable code conforming to project-specific coding conventions
- Ability to work in a team and communicate effectively
- Passion to contribute to cutting-edge medical device development
- Graphical user interface development with Qt using MVC architecture
- Data and image visualization with libraries such as VTK
- Signal processing techniques (FIR and IIR filter design, wavelets, Hilbert transform)
- Image processing using VTK, ITK, OpenCV
- Network programming (TCP, UDP, SSL)
- Embedded linux (Debian) and firmware development, experience with device communication protocols (SPI, I2C)
- Scientific computing (CUDA, OpenCL, MPI, OpenMP)
- DevOps, CI/CD, Git, Docker
- Designing, developing, and maintaining professional-grade, safety-critical software
- Software verification and validation
- Participating in code reviews
Interested individuals should email their cover letter and resume to:
October 31, 2021
The Sunnybrook Research Institute is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodation for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your cover letter.
Sunnybrook Research Institute is strongly committed to inclusion and diversity within its community and welcomes all applicants including but not limited to: visible minorities, all religions and ethnicities, persons with disabilities, 2SLGBTQ+ persons, and all others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
Sunnybrook Research Institute is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodation for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your cover letter.
Sunnybrook Research Institute is strongly committed to inclusion and diversity within its community and welcomes all applicants including but not limited to: visible minorities, all religions and ethnicities, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and all others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
Please be advised that in order to be eligible for employment at Sunnybrook, all new hires must have received the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine or combination of COVID-19 vaccines approved by Health Canada (e.g., two doses of a two-dose vaccine series, or one dose of a single-dose vaccine series); AND have received the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days ago. Medical exemptions or any other kind of requested exemption based upon the Hospital’s obligations pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code will be considered on a case-by-case basis.