Northern Industrial Construction is currently seeking an experienced Junior Estimator for our company. This position is based in our Yellowknife office and you will be taking a critical role in estimating division for construction projects across the Northwest Territories, Yukon, and Nunavut. Please note that this position requires you to be located or willing to relocate to Yellowknife. We are not accepting applications for remote work or rotational work.
Northern Industrial Construction Offers
- Competitive compensation
- Opportunities for career growth, development and advancement.
- Relocation costs
- Community involvement opportunities
- Friendly working environment
- Numerous team activities and various company events
Northern Industrial Construction is a self-perform, multi-disciplined General Contractor. We deliver primarily residential and commercial building construction solutions to a wide variety of industrial, municipal and institutional market sectors. We target both Design-Bid-Build and Design-Build delivery methods. We specialize in the specific challenges associated with remote ice road terrain, fly only accessibility, and marine only delivery methods. Northern Industrial Construction understands the importance of master planning, effective logistics and delivering maximum efficiency when faced with a time of the essence construction window.
Based in Yellowknife, NT, Northern Industrial services the Yukon, Northwest and Nunavut Territories. Our diversity sets us apart from the rest. We have an unsurpassed reputation for delivering efficient, cost-effective and value-analyzed construction projects and understand that each and every industry has unique and specific needs beyond the ordinary.
Living in Yellowknife
Living in Yellowknife and experiencing life in the North is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Yellowknife is the gateway to the North and you will be minutes from lakes, fishing, as well as countless summer and winter trails. Winters are long, dark, and cold but the northern lights, winter ice castle, amazing outdoor winter activities, and vibrant community will make you wish winter lasted longer.
Bringing your career to the North will be both personally and professionally rewarding as the North presents many unique challenges to the construction industry. From permafrost considerations to ice road constraints and air/water only access projects, you will be continually challenged to develop creative solutions for complicated tasks. Northern Industrial Construction specializes in remote access projects and you will have the opportunity to travel to some truly unique Northern locations generally inaccessible to the average Canadian.
The Junior Estimator must have basic construction industry knowledge, strong estimating capabilities, have a strong work ethic and be able to work diligently and effectively unsupervised.
As a Junior Estimator you will be working with senior estimators in preparing turn-key estimates, RFP's and proposal submissions, primarily focusing on residential, commercial and industrial work, in both public and private sector markets throughout Northern Canada. Reporting to the Senior Estimator, you will be based out of our Yellowknife, NT office.
- Review proposal specifications, drawings, attend pre-bid meetings to determine scope of work and required contents of estimate.
- Select vendors and/or subcontractors to provide pricing.
- Review and analyze project risks associated with specific tenders.
- Prepare discipline estimates by calculating complete takeoff of scope of work.
- Consult with clients, vendors, and other stakeholders to discuss and formulate estimates and resolve any potential issues.
- Review design options and recommend best solution based on cost, engineering quality or availability of materials.
- Review list of work to be performed by subcontractors.
- Review final estimate to ensure all costs have been captured.
- Review final estimate and brainstorm with estimating team to refine costs and ensure unnecessary costs are not being added to the estimate.
- Monitor client changes and advise the estimating team of all changes in scope during the estimate period.
- Follow awarded contracts as assigned – may include estimating extra work items, change orders, credits.
- Advise on major changes in scope of work and monitor actual cost to estimated cost.
- Search, analyze and communicate to the team options for the most effective means and methods of construction.
- Reviews and interprets Requests for Proposal (RFP) requirements to develop comprehensive, compliant proposal outlines and writing templates.
- Writing and editing original text, tailoring boilerplate, and rewriting third-party contributions to fulfill RFP requirements, with attention to crafting narrative that is compliant with requirements, inclusive of strategy, and compelling to the reader.
- Formatting documents in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher, and Adobe according to RFP requirements.
- Copy editing for grammar, spelling, factual accuracy, and clarity.
- Maintaining organized files and drafts of work in appropriate locations on the company’s shared drive
- A degree or diploma related to estimating and/or construction is preferred.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in the English language on all technical and business levels.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $70,000.00-$100,487.73 per year
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Yellowknife, NT: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- construction estimating: 1 year (preferred)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-04-07
Expected start date: 2023-04-17