UNDERSTANDING - ACCEPTANCE – INCLUSION
Autism Nova Scotia is a non-for-profit organization that strives to build community capacity to enhance understanding, acceptance, and inclusion of families and individuals with ASD across the province.
Please note: Due to the Covid-19 Stay at home and social distancing Provincial restrictions, Interviews will be conducted via Zoom. Should the implemented public health restrictions remain in place beyond a position’s commencement/start of employment date, successful candidates will be notified of a new commencement date.
SUMMER CAMP COUNSELLOR
The Cumberland Chapter, Autism Summer Respite Camp is a program for children and youth on the autism spectrum between the ages of 4-12 years. Each camper is supported with a 2:1 camper/counsellor ratio and activities are designed specifically with participants’ needs and interests in mind.
Full- time Contract Position: Approximately 35 hours / week (Flexibility required)
8 weeks, starting June 29, 2020 and ending August 21, 2020 (estimated)
Salary range: $13.00 hourly
Location: Cumberland- AMHERST
Application deadline is midnight, May 29, 2020
What you’ll be doing…
The Camp Counsellor shall act as a guardian and facilitator for the child assigned to his/her care during camp hours. The Camp Counsellor is responsible to ensure a safe, fun, active and enjoyable recreational day camp experience for the children in the camp program.
What we’re looking for…
A passionate, team player who takes personal accountability to deliver on what is expected in their role and who strives for excellence every day. They think broadly, have a drive to transform lives, help change attitudes and create a society that work for autistic people. Can you thrive in a dynamic, changing and sometimes ambiguous environment by keeping informed and connected within your role? If this sound like you?
Please submit your resume highlighting the qualification listed below and a cover letter expressing why you believe you are match for this role.
- University degree or student in a related post-secondary program (e.g., education, recreation, social work, psychology, etc.) or equivalent experience
- Current CPR and First Aid Certification
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products
- A great deal of knowledge and experience working with individuals with autism
- Experience working as a carer (is an asset)
Minimum skills and ability:
- Good leadership skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Good communication skills (written and oral)
- Must be punctual, reliable and efficient with paperwork
- Ability to work independently and work collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team
Essential & Other Related Job Duties:
The Camp Counsellor is responsible for the following:
- To adhere to all policies and procedures including those identified in the
- Policies and Procedures Manual and the Staff Manual.
- Ensure all campers are treated with dignity and respect.
- Ensure the health and safety needs of each camper are met at all times.
- Never leave a camper unattended in the camp or community and to be able to account for a camper’s whereabouts at all times.
- Ensure good communication with staff, parents, and campers regarding camp activities.
- Ensure camp facilities are cleaned up and in order.
- Other duties as required.
A Valid criminal record check and a vulnerable sector check is required for this position.
What to expect at Autism Nova Scotia...
You’ll make a difference.
You’ll surrounded by passionate and committed individuals who work together to improve quality of life through our services.
You’ll celebrate the uniqueness of all individuals.
Diversity is a fundamental part of our core value; we create every opportunity to become more inclusive. We encourage applications from qualified candidates from all diverse communities including but not limited to aboriginal persons, racially visible persons, people with disabilities, 2SLGBTQ+ and women in non-traditional roles. Applicants from these communities wishing to self-identify may do so in their cover letter.
Reference ID: Competition No. 2020-SCL-001
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
- Temporarily due to COVID-19