Northern Zone, Pugwash Primary Health Care Clinic
PHC NZ CRC FP North Cumberland
Type of Employment:
Permanent Hourly FT (100% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Posting Closing Date:
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
Reporting to the Health Services Manager of Primary Health Care, the Nurse Practitioner (NP) provides comprehensive and coordinated care to patients as a member of an interprofessional/collaborative primary care team. The NP partners with and complements other members of the health care team for the achievement of person and family centred care, assessment, diagnosis, treatment, monitoring and evaluation of patient health and treatment outcomes, screening and health promotion, early detection of illness and disease, chronic disease management, continuity and coordination of care and enhanced access to programs, services and community resources. The NP is expected to add 800 patients to the capacity of the team.
The primary care team works together to develop and deliver services to the population in the community without a primary care provider, including outreach to remote areas and services to meet the needs of priority populations. This position may requires work at multiple sites and travel between various community locations throughout the area.
The NP adheres to the NSCN Standards for Nursing Practice and the Code of Ethics and is responsible and accountable at all times for his/her own practice consistent with relevant legislation, professional and ethical standards. The NP is accountable to identify, analyze and evaluate activities that are reflective of quality improvement initiatives.
The NP ensures that the principles and practices that guide Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) such as the vision, mission, values, expected behaviors, the leadership philosophy, organizational health, population health, ethics, safety, quality, partnerships and interdisciplinary collaboration are integrated within the support that is provided by the work that they do and through the messages they deliver.
- Masters of Nursing – Advanced Nursing Practice stream or equivalent nurse practitioner program
- Current registration as a Nurse Practitioner – Family/ All Ages, and in good standing with Nova Scotia College of Nursing (NSCN), or eligible
- Recent experience working in a Nurse Practitioner role with family of all ages preferred
- Demonstrated ability to complete initial and ongoing client assessments (clinical and diagnostic reasoning), care planning, case management, evaluation of client competence in self-care and other related outcomes coupled with the provision of nursing care
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with patients, families, public, community partners, primary care team members and other professionals and agencies using verbal, written and computer communication means
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills within scope of practice including clinical judgment and problem solving skills and the ability to integrate and evaluate pertinent data (from multiple sources) to problem-solve effectively
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities and strong ethical standards and a commitment to professional development and life-long learning and ability to promote client-focused care that demonstrates care for and with clients and significant others, sensitive to diverse cultures and preferences, client advocacy and social justice concerns
- Strong understanding of health promotion, population health, and the determinants of health theory and practice
- Ability to transmit information grounded in behavior change and principals of self-management intended to instruct clients and others about topics essential to health care and well-being and demonstrated ability in applying new and innovative technologies and strategies for education and patient counselling
- Ability to manage time and resources, implementing activities to promote cooperation among relevant others, collaboration across disciplines and related activities
- Ability to promote staff morale, cooperation, assertiveness and risk-taking, creative planning for change and innovations, implementation of NSHA policies or other protocols, and ongoing professional development of self
- Ability to use factual information, prior learning and basic principles and procedures to support decisions and actions with relevant research-based evidence and integrate best practice from nursing and health-related disciplines and the humanities, arts and sciences disciplines into professional practice along with commitment to continuous learning for self, interprofessional team and supportive of interprofessional health discipline students through formal/informal mentoring opportunities
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office Programs, including Outlook
- Experience with ability to organize and maintain client health records within an EMR including continuous learning around EMR functionalities considered an asset
- Current certification in BCLS
- Must have valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred, and ability to work with language agency to deliver care to patients in other languages is considered an asset
Applicants will be screened on the above qualifications. Applicants must clearly demonstrate how they meet the knowledge and competencies in their cover letter and resume. Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application. Applicants will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or missing information.
Hours of Work
Permanent, Full-time position; 75 hours bi-weekly
Shifts may include evenings, weekends, and holidays
$49.1449 - $57.4554 hourly
$59.4666 with 25 years' RN experience
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
Successful external applicants will be required to submit the below documents and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment. Additional documentation such as banking & proof of identity will be included in your offer letter.
Criminal Record Check
Proof of education & training certifications
Proof of any additional required qualification
Valid registration with the relevant licensing body
Submission of immunization record along with health assessment documentation
Proof of SIN number
Hiring Process will depend on the timeliness of delivering the above. This is a Nursing bargaining unit - NSNU position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment. Only online applications are accepted.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.