Institute on Ethics & Policy for Innovation, Faculty of Humanities
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. In alignment with McMaster University`s health and safety protocols, the position will commence remotely with a working from home arrangement. The position will be in-person when the University resumes normal onsite operations.
Monday through Friday, 8:30 – 4:30 daily
$22.66 - $31.93 hourly (Pay Grade 6)
ABOUT THE INSTITUTE ON ETHICS & POLICY FOR INNOVATION
The Institute on Ethics & Policy for Innovation (IEPI), based in the Department of Philosophy, Faculty of Humanities at McMaster University, delivers an ethics research and consultation services worldwide to support researchers, funders, sponsors, policymakers, and other stakeholders in global health. The work of the Institute is focused on identifying and addressing ethical challenges, ethics-related risk, and policy gaps that have the potential to undermine the impact of life-saving technologies and interventions in global health and development.
In this role you will be responsible for providing executive support to the Director and Assistant Director of the Institute, as well as administrative support to the IEPI team in a fast paced, collaborative environment. Your responsibilities will include:
- Prioritizing and scheduling meetings in the Director and Assistant Director`s calendar, as well as planning and coordinating meetings and events for the IEPI team.
- Keeping track of assignments and actions needed to be taken by the Director and Assistant Director and ensuring that deadlines for responses are met.
- Liaising with high-profile external stakeholders on behalf of the Director and Assistant Director.
- Drafting correspondence, reports and presentations on behalf of the Director and Assistant Director, and conducting database and web searches to find references and articles for related materials.
- Formatting, word processing, editing, and proofreading a variety of documents and materials.
- Monitoring and ordering office supplies.
- Coordinating the assembly of and submitting information and documentation required for HR and Financial processes and setup.
- Processing and reconciling financial expenses (e.g. invoices, travel expenses, etc.).
- Establishing filing systems (electronic and hard copy) and maintaining confidential files and records.
- Preparing detailed briefing materials for the Director and Assistant Director prior to meetings.
- Making travel arrangements for the Director, Assistant Director and IEPI team.
- Taking notes/minutes at internal and external meetings.
A list of representative duties that may be expected of the position can be found here (JD00709).
WHAT WE ARE EXPECTING OF YOU
To be successful in the position, you will possess the following attributes:
- Ability to work under general direction within a clear framework of accountability and exercise substantial personal responsibility to deliver results.
- A high level of proficiency using a variety of computer software programs, including Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) and Mosaic (People Soft).
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated high level of professionalism with the ability to exercise trust and discretion at all times.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with the ability to work autonomously as well as part of a team environment.
- Detail oriented, with the ability to complete tasks with a high degree of accuracy.
In addition to these skills, you will have a minimum of a Community College diploma in Office Administration or related field of study. You will have a demonstrated Executive Assistant or Senior Administrative Assistant experience - preferably 3-5+ years.
How To Apply
If you possess these skills and qualifications, we welcome your application to the join the IEPI team. Applications can be submitted on the Careers page of the McMaster website and must include a cover letter and resume.
Employment Equity Statement
In keeping with its Statement on Building an Inclusive Community with a Shared Purpose, McMaster University strives to embody the values of respect, collaboration and diversity, and has a strong commitment to employment equity. The University seeks qualified candidates who share our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion. While all qualified candidates are invited to apply, we particularly welcome applications from women, persons with disabilities, First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, members of visible minorities, and LGBTQ+ persons. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, upon request, accommodation will be provided by McMaster University throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities.