Hexagon Purus is a global leader in zero emission mobility solutions for light, medium and heavy-duty vehicles.
We are a growing global team of over 600 employees, with R&D and production operations in Canada, the USA, Germany, Norway, and China. Hexagon Purus is listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange.
Being in the heart of energy transformation, we lead with purpose, and our goal setting is aligned with our people and our shared mission to drive the transition to zero-emission mobility.
Join us on our innovative journey and work toward a clean energy future!
Reporting to the Lead Battery Engineer, the Battery Pack Design Engineer will play an important role in the design and development of battery modules and/or packs for use in medium and heavy-duty electric vehicles. The ideal candidate possesses a multi-disciplinary working knowledge, with a background in mechanical, electrical, and thermal design.
- Creates electro-mechanical part and assembly designs (specifically battery module and battery pack designs) using parametric 3D CAD tools
- Generates complete mechanical manufacturing packages for suppliers, including 3D CAD models, 2D drawings, top-level BOMs, part and system-level specifications
- Fabricate functional prototypes for engineering testing and validation
- Develop test methods based upon design characteristics, customer requirements, and/or existing standards
- Organizes and sometimes leads project update presentations and design reviews
- Researches and proposes innovative technology enablers (e.g. materials and components) and recognizes and targets potential areas for patent protection.
- Identifies process/product efficiencies and process improvements that will reduce overall costs and participates in cost reduction exercises as part of a team.
- Collaborates with suppliers on costs for new designs and design changes to evaluate product feasibility.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Qualifications, Experience, Education
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electro-Mechanical Engineering, or a related design engineering field
- Proficient in 3D CAD software such as Creo Parametric or Solidworks
- Experience packaging battery cells, modules or packs is considered an asset
- Experience designing thermal management systems is considered an asset
- Experience designing battery electrical interconnect systems is considered an asset
- Experience using computational tools to analyze and optimize components and systems for structural, electrical, thermal, and dynamic mechanical performance is considered an asset
- Proven experience in design-for-manufacturing (DFM), design-for-assembly (DFA) and design-for-disassembly (DFD)
- Understanding of, and familiarity with, mass production manufacturing processes for products including injection molding, sheet metal stamping and forming, die casting, compression molding, extrusion, and decoration technologies.
- Understanding of, and familiarity with, mass production joining processes for products including welding non-ferrous metals, welding ferrous metals, and adhesive joining technologies
- Must have strong problem-solving skills and a desire to create solutions.
- Must have demonstrated and effective interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with the ability to professionally interact with internal and external customers; respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers and regulatory agencies.
- Must have the ability to work in sensitive and confidential situations.
- Must have above average MS Office skills
- Valid passport with ability to travel to USA
In accordance with the Pay Transparency Act of British Columbia, we anticipate this position will pay a salary range of:
$60,000 - $100,000 CAD
The compensation posted is a guide and may not represent the final amount offered to a candidate. Compensation will be based on candidate skills, qualifications, and overall experience level.
Compensation at Hexagon Purus includes base salary, comprehensive benefits package, variable annual bonus, and 6% RRSP match.
If you feel that you don't fit into the compensation range above, please talk to us! We would still love to hear from you.