Director of Finance
Reporting to : Chief Operating Officer
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO), the Director of Finance also works closely with the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of the Norseman Group as well as other members of the leadership team. He/ She is responsible to develop financial planning and execution of day-to-day operations of the finance department in support of Norseman Structures’ strategic and operational plans.
The Director of Finance supervises a team consisting of a Controller, project accountants, accounts payable, and payroll staff responsible for execution of all phases of Norseman Structures’ financial management and reporting. He/She is responsible to ensure the finance team has the capacity, capabilities, processes and tools required to accurately and efficiently manage all financial aspects of the business and drive the company’s financial strategy and planning.
The Director of Finance supports Norseman Structures’ operations team by working effectively with both internal and external customers, suppliers and strategic partners to resolve contract terms and conditions which best meet operational and project needs.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
Operational and Financial Leadership
· Establish and execute a consolidated and efficient financial management system incorporating both project based accounting requirements in line with the construction industry best practices, and also non-project based accounting in line with manufacturing best practices.
· Collaborate with construction department to ensure appropriate tools are in place to estimate project costs, set budget targets, monitor progress and report results of projects performed by the construction department.
· Develops and maintains policies and procedures for the finance department and exercises effective controllership in order to ensure compliance with established standards and regulations throughout the organization.
· Actively manage and communicate cash flow requirements in line with project terms and conditions
· Plans and directs all aspects of the finance department’s policies, objectives, and initiatives.
· Manage the development and assembly of Norseman Structures’ capital expenditure and operational budgets for review by COO, CFO, CEO and Norseman Group Board of Directors.
· Monitor ongoing financial results and ensure effective and timely publication of results.
· Collaborate with manufacturing department to ensure appropriate tools are in place for effective inventory management, estimate product costs, set production standards and charge rates, monitor variances and report results of products manufactured by the manufacturing department.
· Assist project and sales staff in the collection of overdue payments from customers.
Cultural and People Leadership
· Demonstrate an unwavering commitment to Norseman’s corporate values
· Foster a culture that promotes leadership in health and safety, ethical business practices, individual integrity, social responsibility and operational performance.
· Provide leadership and direction by engaging and empowering a finance team dedicated to the brand promise of being Fiercely Reliable from the Inside Out, and in line with our corporate vision.
· Create a culture of effective communication. Ensure the team is informed and aligned in achieving the operational, and strategic goals.
· Select, develop and support a competent finance team focused on customer satisfaction, reliability and performance.
· Utilize effective people practices to maintain maximum employee engagement.
· Ensure an effective plan is in place for recruitment, retention, succession and development of qualified personnel.
· Provide leadership, coaching, mentoring, and growth opportunities for employees within the finance department.
· Engage and collaborate with human resources on issues pertaining to workforce planning, recruitment, compensation, benefits, performance management, employee development and training, succession planning,
· Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or relevant field with CPA designation;
· 7+ years’ financial management in a construction and/or manufacturing environment
· A minimum of 5 years of leadership experience in financial management roles
· In-depth knowledge of finance regulations and standard practices in various provinces
· In-depth knowledge of financial processes and procedures
· Possess thorough understanding of implementing financial and project management technologies and software
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite. Microsoft Dynamics 365 (AX), and SAP is an asset.
· Experience in interpreting and applying generally accepted accounting principles in relation to construction and project management;
· Understanding of Canadian payroll and benefits legislation including Workers Compensation;
· Well-versed in construction project bonding and surety requirements;
· Complete alignment with Corporate Values:
o Integrity Matters
o Think Like a Customer
o Be Quick, but Don’t Hurry
o Small Details are Huge
o Take Care of Each Other
· Superior interpersonal skills, with the ability to quickly gain trust and respect in the development of a strong team.
· Energetic with a strong work ethic.
· Results oriented, with a focus on growth and an understanding of the financial aspects associated with running a manufacturing and industrial services/construction company.
· A strategic thinker combined with solid understanding of all business operations.
· A decisive leader with the ability to delegate.
· Sets and maintains critical timelines for reporting requirements including month end, year end, and external audit support
· The ability to identify, attract, mentor and inspire motivated individuals.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- financial leadership: 7 years (Preferred)
- Financial Accounting: 7 years (Required)
- construction/manufacturing: 5 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)