Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week:
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
Facilities Management is responsible for the planning, development, engineering, construction, operation, maintenance and stewardship of all the buildings, infrastructure, sites and services within Western’s campus community.
Our integrated Team provides excellence in creating and maintaining Western’s facilities and in serving the community. Our vision is to be recognized as the leader in facilities management among research-intensive universities worldwide.
The Functional Specialist is responsible for defining and overseeing the implementation of business requirements, maintenance, upgrades and associated software applications, to support the Facilities Management (FM) enterprise information systems. The incumbent works with departments within FM and other Western divisions to ensure FM and Western’s business systems are current and stable, while following industry best practices. The Functional Specialist also prepares documentation and provides training on new and revised business systems.
The incumbent is responsible for leveraging collective expertise and knowledge to manage large, enterprise-scale software implementations, enhancements and projects. The Functional Specialist is responsible for conducting continuous research, analysis, and identification of software development trends, functional releases and applicable mobile technology to ensure the most optimal use of technology within the Department. The incumbent also provides advice on, and implements new and emerging technology in the area of business systems, and ensures personal computing and communication hardware and software used within FM is current and stable.
- University Degree, preferably in Business Management, Engineering, or Computer Science
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification is preferred
- Change Management Certification is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 5 years’ work experience supporting an Enterprise level computer software in a large diverse environment
- Proven project management experience
- 5 years’ experience in a Higher Education or Facilities Management environment working with a Maintenance Management, Oracle Primavera, Oracle PeopleSoft Financials or Human Resources enterprise wide system is preferred
- Knowledge of Change management processes
- Ability to communicate with a wide range of individuals, including senior leaders, internal & external clients, integration partners, developers, database administrators, operations, etc.
- Proven expertise in report writing and technical requirements analysis, business process modeling and mapping, methodology development and data modeling
- Proven ability to troubleshoot and investigate problems without pre-established guidelines
- Critical thinking and discernment to assess and scope areas for process improvement with an ability to offer creative solutions
- Exceptional organizational skills, including managing multiple competing priorities with an ability to adapt quickly to emerging/competing priorities that involve a variety of stakeholders
- Ability to work in a manner that is compliant with confidentiality requirements
- Proven history of successful partnership on multi-disciplinary teams
- Demonstrated ability take initiative, to work independently and follow through on work assignments
- Proven expertise with Project Management techniques and methodology for planning, managing and coordinating projects
- Ability to work under pressure, balancing multiple projects, each having their own timelines and constraints
- Proficient in the use of SQL and SQL-based reporting tools, such as Crystal Reports, PeopleSoft/Query with an in-depth knowledge in the use of relational data structures
- Working knowledge of Oracle PeopleSoft applications preferred
- Excellent communication skills to effectively interact with technical and non-technical users
- Ability to understand customer needs and expectations and provide excellent customer service directly and indirectly to satisfy expectations
- Demonstrated ability to affect change and support new directions for applications development technologies
- Ability to analyze and synthesize amounts of detail/data
- Practical knowledge in importing data for use in report software, spreadsheets, graphs, and dashboards
- Advanced computer skills including spreadsheet design, word processing and database management
- Ability to perform duties in a professional and courteous manner and produce high quality work while meeting deadlines
- Understanding of personal computing and communication hardware in order to advise on departmental standards and procurement, and supervise a WTS On-Site Support technician
Please note, successful applicants may be required to produce a current police information record check from a police service prior to commencing employment.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.