Interior Health is seeking a Management Mentor, Clinical Development in Kamloops BC!
This is a temporary full time position until July 10, 2023.
About the role:
The Management Mentor, Clinical Development is responsible for leading the design, development, implementation, evaluation and continuous improvement of a multipronged orientation, mentoring and education program designed to build the capacity of clinical managers to operationally manage their respective clinical settings to meet organizational targets and enhance patient care outcomes. Builds expertise in operational management that includes staff, performance, patient flow, and financial management. In collaboration with Clinical and Operations partners, utilizes just in time mentoring to support implementation of new learning into practice and provides leadership in support of best practice models and initiatives to support the effectiveness of Clinical Managers in their role.
Some typical duties of the position:
- Works with management to strengthen the manager’s ability in operational management including staffing, performance management, patient flow, bed management, strategic planning, problem-resolution, continuous improvement, health and safety, forecasting staffing requirements, business case development, organizational systems, and collecting and analyzing trend data in clinical settings.
- Works with management to strengthen the managers ability in identifying their priorities, achieving clarity on their job requirements, and aligning their operational and personal performance with Fraser Health’s goals and objectives.
- Provides one-to-one orientation, education, just-in-time support and mentoring in relation to business/operational management activities for clinical managers. Acts as a resource for assessing and resolving actual unit issues, and establishing business goals and personal development plans that enable clinical managers to achieve successful outcomes in collaboration with organizational content experts and their respective director/supervisor as appropriate.
- Provides mentoring and support to new clinical managers with just in time practical operations/business orientation/education to enable their effectiveness in service delivery and optimizing patient care outcomes.
- Leads, coordinates and implements initiatives and new program development related to supporting the clinical manager role. Responsible for integrating the work across portfolios (e.g. Finance, Professional Practice, Quality, Human Resources, Information Management) in new manager entry to role/orientation and manager leadership and competency development.
- Responsible for ongoing continuous evaluation of programs and services, including ensuring projects/programs are data driven, evidence informed and outcome focused. Maintains expert knowledge related to the methods and tools of continuous quality improvement and applies these approaches to areas of improvement within their respective portfolio.
- Develops reporting systems, including triaging and tracking systems for service requests and services provided, to ensure goals and objectives are met.
- Supports departments to inventory, develop and educate managers and clinical directors on educational and digital resources.
- Reviews exit interview responses with senior management and uses information to enhance educational and retention services.
- Engages with management to develop strategies for future training and retention activities.
- Carries out responsibilities in accordance with health and safety requirements. Immediately reports unsafe situations by notifying supervisor or other appropriate personnel.
- Assists in engagement processes required for transitioning from existing service models to new models related to the clinical manager role. Provides pre and post implementation support as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Love your work, apply today!
Education, Training, and Experience
- Bachelors degree in nursing, health sciences, or related field; Masters preferred.
- Five to seven years recent, related clinical experience, including three years in a leadership role.
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Current registration with the relevant professional college or association preferred.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to provide senior advisory services and consultations to management utilizing strong communications skills and the ability to mentor, educate, facilitate, persuade and influence.
- Demonstrated expertise and experience with applying adult learning principles and best practices related to mentoring and educational programming in clinical settings.
- Demonstrated ability to guide individuals and groups while maintaining group cohesion, motivation, commitment, and effectiveness.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively introduce and manage change that is consistent with the vision, purpose, and operating principles of Interior Health.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, develop, implement, manage, and evaluate programs.
- Excellent negotiation skills to relate effectively with clients, medical staff, and members of the interdisciplinary team.
- Ability to define own continuing education needs and maintain competency through reading literature, management workshops, seminars, and available educational offerings.