Waiward is a respected construction and maintenance service provider that operates one of Canada’s largest fabrication shops based out of Edmonton, Alberta. Our mission is To Be Your Trusted Partner which ensures we act with integrity in all that we do. Through planned growth and development, we have kept our commitment to provide our customers with an unsurpassed level of service. Waiward’s historical and future success is grounded in our collective commitment to our core values.
At Waiward, we believe a diverse and inclusive workplace is the key to unlocking the full potential of our people. It is essential to build a team that represents the communities and clients we are serving. We attract, hire, and develop people of all backgrounds and ensure fairness and inclusion within our hiring processes. We believe in investing in people based on their expertise, capabilities, aspirations, and performance despite their race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, and beliefs.
As a leader in our industry, we believe diversity and inclusion strengthen our team and are committed to making sustainable progress in our company and the communities and clients we serve. With the support of our leadership team and peers, our people are encouraged to share their perspectives.
The Senior Steel Detailer (Steel Detailing Lead) is responsible for developing drawings based on client specifications and provides leadership to other drafters.
- Displays a commitment to Waiward’s incident-free vision, values, and culture.
- Performs job responsibilities while fully and effectively participating in all relevant company programs, policies, procedures, and initiatives.
- Works closely with the Lead Detailer and Checker on all aspects of a project.
- Takes on the role of Lead and/or Checker on small one or two person jobs.
- Works with and guides Intermediate and Junior Detailers, while also assisting with their training.
- Identifies and reports any contract discrepancies and concerns found to the appropriate superior.
- Formulates RFI and LOG questions for both internal and external clients.
- Models all facets of all types of structures and inputs connections.
- Produces clear, accurate and well laid out erection drawings for any project.
- Identifies and challenges connection design anomalies and inconsistencies. Proposes simple connection design solutions.
- Edits any and all types of assemblies.
- Runs and issues model generated reports and camdata.
- Post secondary diploma from a structural engineering drafting and technology course or equivalent experience is required.
- A minimum of 8 years experience in the structural steel construction industry, primarily in a fabrication drafting environment.
- Solid and extensive Tekla Structures experience is essential.
- Thorough understanding of technical structural drafting language is required.
- Wide knowledge and understanding of fabrication and assembly processes.
- Excellent knowledge of welding symbols and procedures is required.
- Must be proficient in the use of a computer and ‘Office’ software.
- Ability and willingness to work well in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment.
- Ability to demonstrate passion for one’s work.
- Ability to sell the vision, values and beliefs of the organization.
The incumbent is required to work in an office environment with moderate noise. The job may require the incumbent to walk stairs; be outside in inclement weather (slippery surfaces and cold); carrying objects, driving and being exposed to normal office routines.
The incumbent is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal for extended periods of time; and extensive reading. The incumbent is also required to stand and sit for extended periods of time.
*Please note that only qualified candidates will be contacted. Waiward is an equal opportunity employer.
Reference ID: 2021-1584
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $60,000.00-$75,000.00 per year
mandatory masks, working from home
- Secondary School (preferred)
- Structural Steel Fabrication Industry: 8 years (preferred)
- Tekla: 4 years (preferred)