Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
Associate Group Lead, Commercial Banking
This position will report to the Director & Group Lead, Client Relationships (Mid-Market), Commercial Distribution. This role will include people management, working closely with internal partners at all levels while servicing borrowing and non-borrowing clients whose operation are located across the country and may include international locations.
In this role you will contribute to the overall success of the Commercial Bank in Canada ensuring specific individual goals, plans, initiatives are executed / delivered in support of the team’s business strategies and objectives while ensuring all activities conducted are in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures.
Education / Experience / Other Information:
- Champions a customer focused culture to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
- Provide advice and counsel to Client Relationship Managers in Mid-Market on the presentation of credit proposals. This includes coaching, prompt feedback and sound guidance on structuring deals. In addition, providing suggestions on restructuring marginal proposals into bankable deals where possible. As necessary to also meet with GRM to align strategies on proceeding with a deal. The role is not to underwrite the deals but to provide suggestions on appropriate structuring and a review of applications to ensure underwriting requirements are met and applications are completed in an accurate fashion.
- Ensure the ongoing quality of the credit portfolio- providing oversight to the team on various aspects such as early identification of problem loans, appropriateness of risk ratings, timeliness of annual reviews and reporting requirements and adherence to credit requirements. Responsibilities will be to ensure accounts (both borrowing and non- borrowing customers) are properly and continually managed, monitored and reviewed to adhere to criteria laid down by the Bank’s adjudicating, auditing and compliance groups. Challenges along with recommended solutions are to be provided to the Director & Group Lead and to the VP.
- Manage a team of Client Service Associates in Mid-Market providing timely performance feedback and developing the skills of the team through coaching and guidance.
- Training on credit and operational skills and assist in delivery of various training programs as requested to ensure continually learning opportunities for the team.
- Support the Group Lead & Director in their absence as necessary for the continual smooth operation of the Team.
- Contributing to business development opportunities -by identifying and recommending referral opportunities and possible cross sell options to the Client Relationship Mangers in Mid-Market and ensuring similar support by direct reports
- Champion sustainment of the Target Operating Model by ensuring activities align to roles and responsibilities and adherence to guidelines and processes within the Team.
- Understand how the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
- Actively pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational risk, regulatory compliance risk, AML/ATF risk and conduct risk, including but not limited to responsibilities under the Operational Risk Management Framework, Regulatory Compliance Risk Management Framework, AML/ATF Global Handbook and the Guidelines for Business Conduct.
- Champions a high-performance environment and contributes to an inclusive work environment.
- University Degree with Business Background - MBA or professional designation preferred
- 10 plus years of experience in the Commercial banking industry
- Good knowledge of Commercial Banking Distribution structure as well as role of other groups
within Commercial Banking
- Experienced Lender with strong overall Credit skills and Sales skills
- Strong knowledge of credit structures and applicable risk management
- Superior coaching and proven people management skills
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Good negotiation and problem resolution skills
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral
- Strong regulatory and compliance knowledge
- Strong organizational skills
- Good knowledge of competitor offerings, alternative sources of financing and industry
- Commitment to participate in ongoing learning opportunities/programs
Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.