(PART TIME, CONTRACT, REMOTE)
Raven Reads Books Ltd. is an Indigenous-owned and operated online subscription box that retails Indigenous made products through quarterly subscriptions to over 500 subscribers around the globe.
Raven Reads Books Ltd. is headquartered near Kamloops, BC Canada. All our team members work remotely from all over Canada. This position is remote and is perfect for someone looking for less than full-time work that is flexible and from home. Due to occasional travel required to headquarters, and the close-working relationship of the Controller with the exec team based near Kamloops, qualified western Canada-based applicants will be given preference.
We are a young fast-growing company looking to improve the relationship between Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples by raising awareness of our culture and incredible Indigenous authors, creators and crafters. We’re real. We’re authentic. We know there’s more to life than just work, so we try to make it fun and build real connections with each other as we go. If this sounds like the right kind of environment for you and you have the qualifications listed below, we want to hear from you!
Raven Reads Books Ltd. is seeking a detail-oriented, fast-paced, 1/3 time Controller to join the Operations Team of the company and provide vital financial oversight and support to all our departments. The Controller reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO). This position is accountable for the following:
- A) CASH FLOW:
- Monitor cash balances (measured in Days Cash on Hand) and reporting weekly to CEO.
- Update cash projections spreadsheet monthly and report to CEO.
- Work with CEO and VP, Marketing to maintain awareness of revenue projections as a function of partner discounts and credits.
- Create policies/triggers around when to seek outside financing, bring proposals to CEO, and monitor loan payoff.
- B) ACCOUNTING:
- Categorize all transactions from the current month; reconcile transactions/balances to bank accounts; hold reconciliation meeting with Raven Reads’ tax accountant as required.
- Design and update a Finance Dashboard with current metrics and financial statements.
- Document, implement and monitor accounting internal controls.
- Establish and document accounting policies.
- C) PAYROLL:
- Update payroll reports at the beginning of each quarter and every pay period thereafter.
- Approve payroll each pay period and updates reports.
- D) ACCOUNTS PAYABLES:
- Oversee the payment of payables.
- E) BUDGETS:
- Assist CEO in a yearly departmental budget review and creation of next FY’s departmental budgets.
- Update and distribute monthly budget reports to department heads and report discrepancies to CEO.
- F) MISC.:
- Serve as the corporation’s secretary and treasurer
- Keep all Raven Reads Books Ltd. business licenses current.
- Work with credit agencies to establish business credit for Raven Reads Books Ltd.
WHAT DO WE NEED FROM YOU?
- Analytic mindset
- Attention to detail but doesn’t get lost in details
- Inquiring mind - doesn’t just accept, asks why
WHAT YOU BRING:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- 3-5 years of progressively involved accounting experience with small to medium size organization(s); preference given to those with experience in e-commerce and/or subscription-based business models
- Extensive experience using QuickBooks online
- Solid understanding of commonly accepted accounting principles
- Experience with Asana or similar digital task management software
- High level of comfort using technology:
- Intermediate level or higher experience with spreadsheets
- Google Suite expertise (docs, slides, spreadsheets, etc.). Proficient in using email and managing large quantities of digital files
- Comfortable meeting with colleagues remotely through a web platform like Zoom.
HOURS, COMPENSATION, AND START DATE
Weekly hours required are 13 hours/week.
This is a 1/3 time, contract position. Compensation will be salary based and will be dependent on qualifications. It will be aligned with the market rate for similar positions for our industry and company size within the Province of BC.
This position will start around the beginning of October.
Required Equipment(You should plan to provide all your own equipment):
- Computer with webcam, no older than two years
- Headset with echo-canceling mic or built in microphone
- High-speed Internet Service, the faster the better (we recommend 5 or more)
RAVEN READS CAREERS DISCLAIMER
For this job an equivalent combination of education and experience, which results in demonstrated ability to apply skills will also be considered.
Raven Reads is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from people with all abilities and backgrounds. Preference will be given to applicants who identify as having First Nation, Métis or Inuit background.
The successful applicant may need to fulfill the requirements necessary to obtain a background check.
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
Salary: $20,000.00 to $30,000.00 /year