MacLean Engineering is looking for a Product Engineering Manager to join our growing Engineering team. This is a great opportunity to be part of a growing team, focused on designing and manufacturing heavy duty mobile mining vehicles for our customers world-wide.
If you are looking to be challenged and advance your career in a dynamic work environment this position is for you!
About the Position:
Reporting to the Vice President Engineering, the Product Engineering Manager position is responsible for the overall technical execution of their product line through the leadership and management of their product teams. It relies on strong communication with other departments that contribute to the success of the end product.
Specific tasks for the Product Engineering Manager position include but may not be limited to:
- Forecasting, reviewing and assessing the new capital quotes/orders information for technical compliance, new options or combinations, long lead components, and other factors that will influence the scheduling of work to ensure objectives above are met. This may include the need for travel to meet with customers where required to gain the necessary clarity.
- Preparing the build cards to submit to their product team and the subsequent creation and release of the bill of materials (BOM) such that new capital orders are entered into the manufacturing process on schedule and free of errors/omissions.
- Preparing design scopes and milestone dates related to new designs that are based on a clear understanding of the application requirements, the success criteria, and the potential risks and obtain the acceptance with internal and external customers.
- Monitor and report new design project status (% complete, schedule creep, risk level and mitigation plan) and communicate this both within the product team and with upper management.
- Facilitating internal and external design reviews with the product team, internal customers, and external customers to confirm if all technical and schedule requirements are on track and direct any recovery plans as needed where deviations have occurred.
- Reviewing final builds prior to delivery and witnessing any planned testing to confirm technical compliance.
- Organizing and executing continuous improvements to the product line in a manner that enhances the total quality of the end product and is effectively adopted and communicated within the organization through to the end customers.
- Where specific expertise in a particular area of technology exists (e.g. powertrain, controls) offer experienced mentorship to others where such knowledge will benefit the success of the entire fleet of products.
- Continuously assess the skills and capacity of the product team and make recommendations to the department manager for any necessary changes or improvements.
- Leading the development or sourcing of new technology, components, tools or processes to improve the quality or effectiveness of the end product and the product team.
- As requested, support quoting activities by offering specific technical assessments on feasibility, cost estimates, design leadtime where it is outside the normal product offering.
- As requested, participate in customer inspections, assessing any requested changes with PLM/AM, and organizing approved changes to implement.
About You: The successful candidate(s) must be willing to learn, open-minded and flexible, organized, team oriented, disciplined, and must have a positive attitude. Ideally you will have had experience working within a similar metal fabrication, heavy equipment assembly environment, and you possess the majority or all of the following qualifications:
Those qualified for this position should be capable of demonstrating the following qualifications:
- Engineering diploma or degree from a recognized post secondary institution
- Licensed through OACETT or PEO is preferred
- Other specialized training, licensing, or other credentials will be given consideration if applicable to the role
- 7 or more years’ experience in the design and/or manufacturing of mobile equipment (non-mobile experience can be considered for the degree of equivalency)
- 3 or more years’ experience in the management of project teams or departments
- Application/field knowledge of the demands placed on mobile equipment is a significant asset
- Technical knowledge in one or more major engineering fields (mechanical, hydraulic, electrical, powertrain) including knowledge of components and theory
- Capable of using 2D and 3D CAD software (SolidWorks, AutoCAD) for the purpose of reviewing designs prepared by the team and demonstrations for internal or external customers
- Skilled in the use of MS Office software (Word, Excel, Project)
- Strong ability to read and interpret regulatory, design, and customer standards that apply to mobile equipment
- Completion of courses in supervision and management of staff is an asset
- Skilled at interacting with internal and external customers to clearly establish requirements and resolve technical issues
About Us: MacLean Engineering has been a leading innovator of underground mining equipment solutions for over 40 years. As we continue to expand our product range and geographic footprint, we remain privately owned and consistently focused on the Company’s founder’s original engineered design imperatives – safety, productivity and enduring quality. MacLean Engineering has three manufacturing facilities located in Collingwood, Owen Sound, and Barrie. Our workforce is comprised of various skilled trades working together in a safety and quality-oriented environment to produce components and equipment to the underground mining industry, as well as the municipal, environmental, and industrial sectors.
We offer competitive wages and benefits including:
- 3 weeks' vacation annually
- Flexible Group benefits Package (Once probationary period is completed)
- Voluntary DPSP (Deferred Profit-Sharing Plan) and GRRSP (Group Registered Retirement Savings Plan) (Once probationary period is completed)
- Annual Employee Bonus
- $150 Annual Safety Shoe allowance
If you are interested in being a part of an established and growing Canadian Company, we want to hear from you!
MacLean Engineering & Marketing Co. Limited is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005).
MacLean Engineering & Marketing Co. Limited will provide accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Job Type: Full-time
- management of project teams or departments: 3 years (Preferred)
- design and/or manufacturing of mobile equipment: 7 years (Preferred)
- OACETT or PEO (Preferred)