Job title - Vineyard Manager
Reporting to – Vineyard and Winery Senior Manager
Language of work - English
Place of work - Mono, Ontario L9W 5X7
Adamo Estate Winery is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarian s with Disabilities Act. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation.
Main Duties Include:
- Working knowledge and experience with pruning, tying, canopy management (shoot thinning, suckering, green harvest, hedging), IPM, scouting, spray programs, fertilizing, weeding and harvesting, geo-textile blanket applications and removal, implementing bird netting, setting up bird control mechanisms, replanting of vines, monitoring and sampling grapes.
- Tractor driving; un-burying, cultivating, fertilizer spreading, spraying, mowing, hedging, weeding with radius hoe, and burying/blanketing vines for the winter. Also, pulling a trailer, using a front end loader or bucket and snow removal with a snow blower.
- Record keeping
- Large rock removal
- Trellis maintenance and replacement when need be
- Weed whacking and hand weeding
- Operating frost machines
- Equipment maintenance and service scheduling
- Experience with Organic methods of viticulture is welcome but not mandatory
- Valid pesticide safety training license for Ontario farmers
Other jobs may include but are not limited to:
- Tank/barrel and equipment cleaning and sanitizing, racking, transfers, additions, barreling up and down, blending, fining, filtering, bottling and record keeping.
- Competence to run a crush pad; fork-lifting, receiving grapes (weighing in), pressing, crushing and de-stemming, cleaning, sanitizing and maintaining equipment (cleaning, oiling, greasing, etc).
- Leading tastings and/or tours and pouring at wine events around Ontario.
- Moving and lifting wine cases and stacking them.
- Testing the following (using protocol and procedures outlined by the winemaker); pH, TA, brix, turbidity, alcohol, Free & Total Sulphur, residual sugar, malo-lactic fermentation through chromatography, protein stability, filterability and cold stability.
- Interpreting tested data from wines.
- Setting up tasting trials: acid, sugar, blending, among others.
- Tasting with confidence and ability to describe a wine and recognize wine faults.
- Strong communication skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to manage a team and work well as part of the team or individually.
- Cooperative attitude and be flexible to changes and work hours.
- Willingness to expand knowledge base and practices and participate in vine and wine trials.
- Being prepared to work in all types of weather and temperatures in Southern Ontario.
- Able to do physical labour and lift 25 KG.
- Driving to pick up items from suppliers.
- Problem solving on the spot.
- Removal of garbage to appropriate locations.
- Hand shovelling, snow removal and salting.
What's In It For You:
- Competitive wagers
- Career development
- Free Golf & Ski
- Meal allowance
- Beautiful working environment
- Discounts at various Resorts & Hotels in Canada
- Use of Hockley Valley Resort's leisure facilities
Job Type: Full-time
- related: 3 years (Required)