Northbound Planning Ltd. is looking for a Development Officer to assist the company to provide development officer duties to membership clients.
The company is a privately-owned company located in Northwest Saskatchewan operating out of Vawn, Saskatchewan. This innovative and progressive company allows individuals to thrive within a collaborative team that adapts services to meet the needs of the clients. Northbound provides services to a range of clients, which ensures an ever-changing work environment.
Reporting to the CEO of Northbound Planning and membership Administrations and Councils, the Development Officer is responsible for development control and subdivision within various client bylaws, ensuring that planning and development regulations are properly administered.
Job tasks include:
- Liaise with and respond professionally and promptly to internal and external customer inquiries related to Development Permits, Land Use Amendments, Subdivision Applications and local referrals.
- Process and issue decisions in accordance with established processes and legislation for development permit applications, certificates of compliance, subdivision applications and other land use applications.
- Prepare Development or Subdivision Agreements subsequent to development or subdivision approvals, as required.
- Prepare Council or Committee reports as requested by Administration and/or management.
- Assist with preparation of reports for Subdivision and Appeal Board hearings, as required.
- Investigate issues related to illegal development and recommend appropriate action to be taken.
- Carry out necessary field inspections as required.
- Minimum 3 – 5 years’ experience in municipal government with emphasis on planning and development processes is encouraged.
- To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform the duties listed above to a high degree of quality, timeliness and precision.
- Knowledge of relevant, provincial and municipal legislation, policies and programs with the ability to integrate and utilize knowledge in planning and development projects.
- Strong experience and understanding of community planning practices, principles and procedures, land use planning legislation, land use planning preparation, public participation processes.
- Proficient file and data management skills.
- Exceptional organizational and multi-tasking capability.
- Ability to work independently within a team environment with excellent interpersonal verbal and written communication skills to interact with the public, staff and external agencies.
- Ability to make appropriate, logical and practical decisions.
- Must be computer literate with strong knowledge of Microsoft Office programs and online software.
- Knowledge of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is an asset.
- Must hold a valid Class 5 driver’s license.
- Must provide a vehicle for which vehicle mileage will be paid.
- Post-secondary education in Land Use Planning or related disciplines, or a combination of equivalent education and experience is encouraged.
- Eligibility for membership within the Saskatchewan Professional Planners Institute and Canadian Institute of Planners is encouraged.
This position provides opportunities for career advancement and job task expansion.
Job Type: Full-time
- Secondary School (Required)
- Vawn, SK (Required)
- Saskatchewan Class 5 Driver's License (Required)
- English (Preferred)