Organization: Sunshine Coast Conservation Association
Location: Lower Sunshine Coast, BC
Term: Four-month, part time Contract
Note: successful candidate MUST reside on the Lower Sunshine Coast.
Application Closing Date: August 17, 2020
Interviews will be held: August 20-22
Preferred starting date: September 1, 2020
Organization and Summary of Position:
The Sunshine Coast Conservation Association (SCCA) is a registered federal charity and BC society. The SCCA’s mandate is to preserve the natural biodiversity of the Sunshine Coast region by retaining key lands and waters in a natural state. Our full area of interest includes two million hectares of coastal temperate rainforest in the Sunshine Coast Natural Resource District.
The SCCA was born out of a grassroots campaign to protect the Tetrahedron Provincial Park in the 1990s. For nearly 30 years, the SCCA has consistently developed, led, supported and participated in campaigns to protect biodiversity on the Sunshine Coast. Our focus has been protection of Old Growth forests, Marbled Murrelet nesting habitat, Mountain Goat Winter Range and Watershed protection. The SCCA pursues our mission through conservation campaigning, government relations, alliance building, education and outreach. We engage with First Nations and all levels of government, civic organizations, the public and industry stakeholders and utilize a variety of legislative tools and strategies to achieve our goals. The SCCA represents many local conservation and community groups and individual members. We are the Sunshine Coast’s environmental watchdog and advocate, supporting local leaders to protect biodiversity and holding decision-makers to account through information campaigns and legal means.
Administrator Job Description:
The Administrator works together with the Board of Directors and the Executive Director to manage administrative duties to support the SCCA's mission, policies, goals and objectives and in accordance with legal, statutory, constitutional and other requirements.
Internal Operations: Organize and monitor the ongoing administrative operations of the SCCA in compliance with SCCA policies, CRA, BC Societies Act and employment standards act.
- Act as primary administrative contact for the SCCA
- Maintain shared calendars, files, organizing tools and relationship management software.
- Oversee and maintain accounts and authorizations.
- Monitor invoices/payroll/expenses/receipts.
- Track project and funding related contracts, agreements and deadlines.
Admin Support: Support SCCA Board, ED, Service Providers and Volunteers to carry out SCCA activities and programs as set out in annual plans, and through Board and Executive Director directives.
- Work with Board of Directors to organize and schedule board meetings and AGM.
- Provide admin support to the Board/Executive Director to deliver SCCA programs.
- Facilitate SCCA Committee Chairs to convene committee meetings and report to Board.
- Support Bookkeeper to maintain accounts, submit annual Charity Return and BC Society Act report.
- Assist Service Contract providers to submit proposals/contracts and funding applications, administer payments and meet reporting requirements.
- Support Volunteer Coordinator to engage and recognize volunteers and track hours.
- Support Membership Coordinator to maintain membership database.
- Work with Board and ED to submit and track funding proposals and acknowledge contributors.
- Support Treasurer and Bookkeeper in drafting annual budget and monthly financial reports.
Communications: Promote SCCA campaigns, news and events and ensure messaging aligns with SCCA organizational purposes.
- Maintain and update digital communications: website, eNews, social media, etc.
- Support Newsletter Committee to develop and deliver annual Newsletter.
Events: Support delivery of approved events as directed by the Board - by separate contract in 2020.
Reporting: Submit monthly report to Board for review indicating time spent and activities undertaken to fulfill Administrative duties as set out above.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Experience in administrative services.
- Exceptional communication skills and proven ability in communications and report writing.
- Proven experience in budgeting, tracking timelines and management support.
- Passionate about the natural environment, biodiversity and the SCCA’s mission and values.
- Self-starter, well organized and able to respond to communications and requests in a timely and efficient manner.
- Proficient with MS Office, Excel and Word; ability to navigate websites, communications and social media platforms and learn financial and relationship management software.
- Own your own computer, able to work alone at a location of your choice.
The SCCA is committed to employment equity as an ongoing process. We encourage qualified applicants from underrepresented groups, including women, Indigenous persons, racialized communities, persons with disabilities, and members of sexual or gender minority groups. The successful candidate will be required to complete a criminal record check.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume. Only candidates shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.
 Most public gatherings have been cancelled in 2020 due to COVID-19. Event delivery will be contracted separately for the time being. Oceans Day deliverables to be revised a separate contract.
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
Salary: $1,000.00 per month
- Casual Dress
- Work From Home
We are holding all of our Board and team meetings via video-conference currently, and all of our in-person events are on-hold for now.
- Sunshine Coast, BC (Preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19