Online Job Posting: Certified Cook
Who we are:
The Brenda Strafford Foundation is a charitable organization that owns and operates four Long Term Care and Assisted Living seniors care communities in Calgary, AB, and Okotoks, AB. We take pride in providing a safe, caring and comfortable home environment that caters to the complex needs of our residents and families.
Putting people first is a way of life at The Brenda Strafford Foundation. It’s in our values. And it’s fundamental to the way we do things. By realizing the individual needs of our residents, clients and families, we can all play a role and make a difference in the preservation of dignity and the pursuit of happiness.
Wentworth Manor is looking for the next great addition to our team! The Cook is responsible for the operation of the kitchen, including the planning of special diets for the residents, food preparation and cooking and the instruction and supervision of kitchen staff.
Some of the primary responsibilities include supervising, planning, organizing and participating in the daily preparation of general and special diet meals, preparing and setting-up all equipment necessary to ensure successful meal delivery to designated resident dining rooms, monitoring the efficient utilization of supplies, equipment, facilities and staff, monitoring the fridge, freezer, dishwasher and hot-holding table temperatures daily and document on appropriate spreadsheets, consulting with the Cook/Kitchen Supervisor and Dietitian as appropriate, making recommendations concerning all requirements relating to food purchasing, menus, storage and food preparation, supervising all kitchen staff, replacing Dietary Aides and other Cooks for last minutes staff coverage and providing input regarding the performance of others to the Kitchen Coordinator.
This is a casual position. The starting wage is $21.01 per hour.
The Cook must demonstrate:
· Superior organizational and time management skills;
· Strong communication skills in person, in writing and over the phone;
· Critical thinking and analytical skills;
· Basic computer skills;
· Flexibility and resourcefulness;
· Team building and problem solving skills.
Required education and experience:
· Two-year Cook Diploma/Certificate from a recognized post-secondary educational institute.
· Red Seal designation preferred.
· Two years as a Cook/Chef.
· Experience in a health care facility an asset.
In accordance with the Alberta Health Accommodation Standards, all successful candidates are required to complete a criminal record check prior to commencing employment.
How to apply:
If you’re interested in working with our team and you meet the qualifications above, please apply directly online through Indeed with your cover letter and resume.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Job Type: Casual
- supervisory: 1 year (Preferred)
- cooking: 1 year (Preferred)
- Prepare, season and cook food as directed, meeting dietary requirements where required
- Follow recipes and presentation specifications
- Operate standard kitchen equipment safely and efficiently
- Clean and maintain station in practicing good safety and sanitation
- Maintain inventory and record of food, supplies and equipment
- Oversee kitchen operations
- Adhere to all sanitation and food production codes