At the intersection of mind and action, Ryerson is on a transformative path to become Canada’s leading comprehensive innovation university. Integral to this path is the placement of equity, diversity and inclusion as fundamental to our institutional culture. Our current academic plan outlines each as core values and we work to embed them in all that we do.
Ryerson University welcomes those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion and will assist us to expand our capacity for diversity in the broadest sense. In addition, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment in Canada, we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples, Indigenous peoples of North America, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and those who identify as women and/or 2SLGBTQ+. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
As an employer, we’re working towards a people first culture and we're proud to have been selected as one of Canada's Best Diversity Employers and one of Greater Toronto's Top Employer for 2015, 2016, and 2017. To learn more about our work environment and innovative educational environment, visit http://www.ryerson.ca, check out @RyersonU, @RyersonHR, and @RyersonECI on Twitter, and visit our LinkedIn company page.
About the Faculty of Community Services
The nine Schools within the Faculty of Community Services (FCS) offer professional programs that prepare individuals for addressing the health and social care needs of multiple population groups. Our programs are designed to encourage students to be creative and critical thinkers and effective problem solvers, who can transcend disciplinary boundaries to find lasting solutions to social issues. We prepare our students to navigate an increasingly globalized workplace, characterized by the integration of diverse peoples, cultures, technologies, economies and political processes.
The Research Finance Assistant Assists in the preliminary preparation of a variety of research budget reports, including expense reports, schedules and statements. They provide account monitoring and administration of research account activities and ensure that financial information is tracked, verified and up-to-date and accurate. They also act as a liaison to ensure the appropriate resolution of financial issues.
- Assists in the preparation of research budget documents and reports
- Monitors and maintains research budgets and accounts
- Provides financial services and information
- Assists the Research Account Support Officers in the coordination of the hiring process for research positions.
- Prepares and coordinates the submission of appointment forms.
- Coordinates the employee time-sheet process to ensure proper and timely submission to Human Resources.
- Acts as the Faculty liaison by responding to inquiries concerning research staff records and pay.
- Assists PI’s and schools with understanding and following payroll processes and requirements to ensure research staff are paid accurately and on time.
- Successful completion of a post-secondary certificate in accounting, finance or a related discipline.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in a similar capacity, providing financial and administrative support for research related activities including preparing budget and cash flow statements.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Knowledge of financial accounting principles and practices, including financial management, budgeting, contract administration and Oracle Government Financials (OGF).
- Strong computer skills with experience using an automated accounting and budgeting system; financial software, MS Office (Excel and Word), Google Suite (Docs, Sheets, Calendar, email) and e-Appoint preferred.
- Knowledge of human resource management systems (HRIS).
- Strong analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills required to resolve financial management questions.
- Strong client service skills required to develop and maintain strong working relationships with Faculty, staff, students, external stakeholders, etc. and determine their needs.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal and conciliatory skills including tact, diplomacy and patience.
- Strong time management skills and the ability to effectively prioritize and meet multiple conflicting deadlines.
- An ability to work independently and as an effective team-member; demonstrated ability to take initiative and exercise sound judgment.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills with a strong attention to detail.
- Position Number(s): 20003260
- Reports To: Manager, Research Administration
- Vacancy Type: FTCE
- Employee Group: OPSEU
- Start Date: ASAP
- End Date: Not Applicable
- Hours of Work: 36.25
- Grade: 8
- Salary Scale: $52,270.54 - $62,413.76
We encourage all First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples or Indigenous peoples of North America, to self-identify in their applications and also reach out to Tracey King, Aboriginal HR Consultant for support during the selection process.
As part of the selection process, candidates may be required to complete an occupational assessment.
Applications will only be accepted online through Ryerson's career site.
Please watch a message on the Ryerseon career site from Ryerson's Vice President, Equity and Community Inclusion for more information on our commitment to equity.
Important Notice Re: Job Postings during COVID-19
While we are committed to ensuring the best possible experience for all applicants, due to the situation regarding COVID-19, please be advised that Ryerson University ("Ryerson") reserves the right to pause a job competition at any stage in the process. Applicants will be notified in the event that the job competition process in which they are participating is suspended or paused. We appreciate your understanding during these unprecedented times. Thank you for your interest in Ryerson University.
Job Type: Permanent
- Temporarily due to COVID-19