Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week:
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
Hospitality Services at Western University is passionate about delivering superior quality in food, nutrition and service, and strives to support the over-all mission and goals of the University. Hospitality Services serves over 32,000 people on a daily basis through three interdependent departments - Campus Operations, Residence Dining, Conferences, Catering & Event Services. We have over 600 employees working in Hospitality Services providing our guests with a wide variety of options and choices to fulfill their dietary needs.
The Associate Director, Residence Dining is accountable for the operations of seven residence dining hall operations including operational standards, financial controls, recruiting, labour relations, team leadership, sales and marketing, health and safety, customer service, menu, recipe and concept development and the effective supervision of summer conference business. The Associate Director ensures all residence dining operations and purchasing functions are conducted in a profitable and cost-effective manner while maintaining a high standard of customer service.
- University Degree in Business, Hotel/Restaurant Management, Culinary Arts or a related hospitality field
- Master's Degree in Business Administration is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Seven years of progressive leadership experience in the food services industry
- Strong people management experience with a focus on exceptional customer service and financial accountability
- Experience working in an institutional unionized work environment is preferred
- Strong people management experience with direct accountability for recruitment, on going training and development and performance management
- Ability to establish and build healthy working relations and partnerships with customers, peers and external stakeholders
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and confidence dealing with all levels of an organization
- Positive, outgoing attitude with genuine customer service orientation
- Possesses a reputation for resourcefulness with a strong sense of accountability and initiative
- Demonstrated ability to supervise in a unionized environment
- Advanced ability to calculate, comprehend and manage food and labour costs
- Demonstrated ability to plan menus and production levels according to fluctuating customer volumes
- Ability to identify unit needs, recommend and assist in the planning of facility layout, floor plans and designs
- Demonstrated analytical ability with a working knowledge of accounting principles, revenue projections and financial statements
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to analyze and synthesize sizable amounts of detail/data
- Ability to work well under pressure and handle multiple conflicting priorities in a fast paced environment
- Excellence in customer service with the ability to coach and support team members to achieve a culture of excellence in customer service
- Intermediate level of computer fluency required in order to efficiently and effectively maintain electronic documents, e-mail, compose Microsoft Word documents, manipulate Excel files and navigate through a shared server
- Capacity to learn, manage and/or develop Enterprise Resource Systems such as QS2, PeopleSoft, Cbord and POS systems (e.g. Odyssey & Micros POS)
- Creative problem-solving skills and sound professional judgment, with a consultative and collaborative approach to addressing issues and opportunities, especially regarding confidential or sensitive matters
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.