**This position is located in Goderich, ON; relocation assistance is available**
At Compass Minerals, we harvest, mine and produce essential minerals that deal with nature’s challenges, including – but not limited to – highway deicing salt for the winter months, water softening salt and plant nutrition that improves the quality and yield of crops. We transform Earth’s resources that ultimately help keep people safe, feed the world and enrich lives, every day.
With our company headquarters in Overland Park, KS, Compass Minerals operates in 27 locations throughout the United States, Canada, Brazil & the United Kingdom. We’re committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone’s voice matters. We believe in work that creates value for all stakeholders, encourages collaboration at all levels and focuses on a high-performance environment where employees are challenged to be their best.
Summary: As a strategic partner, the HR Business Partner (HRBP) works very closely with the Regional HRBP. The person aligns business objectives with employees and leadership at the mine, and serves as a consultant to the local leadership teams on Human Resource related issues. The HRBP maintains an effective work relationship between the Union and the Company by ensuring both parties follow Company policies, procedures, and the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Works closely with the Regional HRBP-Canada in support of the overall strategic goals of the business.
- Consult with mine leadership (general foremans and supervisors) providing HR guidance when appropriate.
- Manage and resolve complex employee relations issues. Conducts effective, thorough and objective investigations.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Provides day to day performance management guidance to mine leadership (coaching, counseling, career development, disciplinary actions).
- Works closely with mine leadership and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, increase engagement, productivity and retention.
- Provides HR Policy guidance and interpretation.
- Identify training needs for the facility and individual coaching needs.
- Provide day to day labour relations guidance to mine leadership (coaching, counseling on grievance responses and grievance avoidance
- Able to work with Union executives on labour relations issues.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree (Preferred), or an HR Certificate with 10 years or more experience
- At least 5 years of progressive human resources experience (Required)
- At least 3 years’ experience in Labour Relations (Required)
SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Grievance handling
- Employee relations
- Disciplinary measures
- Investigation handling
- Works well others
- Develop strong trusting relationships in order to gain support and achieve results.
- Effective verbal and written communication
- Able to handle multiple conflicting priorities
- Training and development
- Strategic Implementation
- Microsoft office suites
- Computer Literacy
- Flexibility with work schedule
- Be self-directed and motivated
Competency: T_o perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies: _
Customer Service - Responds promptly to internal customer needs; Responds to requests for service and assistance.
Oral Communication – Strong oral communication and presentation skills are required.Speaks clearly and succinctly and relays information in a professional manner; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions.
Written Communication - Strong written communication skills are required. Writes clearly and informatively.
Organizational Support - Completes assignments and tasks accurately and on time.
Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Ability to organize and/ or schedule other people and their tasks.
Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction.
Language Skills - Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to read and interpret documents.
Mathematical Skills- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Reasoning Ability - Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Computer Skills - To perform this job successfully, an individual must be proficient in Microsoft Office products: word, excel, power point.
Work Environment - The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is an office setting environment. Employee may be required to go underground occasionally. Therefore should not be claustrophobic, fear of dark places.
Compass Minerals strictly prohibits discrimination against employees, contractors or others that conduct business with the Company on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, sex (including sexual orientation, gender identity, and pregnancy), age, military status, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with a disability, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Company Pension
- Dental Care
- Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Extended Health Care
- Life Insurance
- Profit Sharing
- Vision Care
- Labour Relations: 3 years (Preferred)
- Human Resources: 5 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)