Source: BC Hydro
Job Title: Instructional Designer/Technical Writer
Job Number: BCH-R-8540-190214E1
Job Location: Surrey Trades Training Centre, British Columbia, Canada
Job Status: Full-time Permanent
We’re BC Hydro and we have a big job to do.
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row.
It’s our vision to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
- Develops competency profile charts, course/program profiles or outlines, curricula, training modules, and other training materials from information gathered from clients through a formal needs assessment process. Provides formal needs assessment services for the organisation.
- Designs instructional packages or training modules; determines specific learning tasks, sub tasks and content; writes and sequences performance objectives and develops performance measures following adult education principles; integrates delivery techniques to enhance class-room based, e-learning and other instructional delivery methods.
- Applies current adult education concepts and learning approaches to curriculum projects such as: experiential teaching techniques, accelerated learning principles, interactive delivery methods and variations in the presentation of material.
- Demonstrates effective learning materials presentations skills such as: creative training materials and delivery tools, adult/accelerated learning techniques, synchronous and asynchronous e-classroom, and other delivery tools.
- Develops and establishes standardized curricula format and templates for course material and facilitators guide. Provides expertise in adapting current curricula to alternative delivery channels such as: e-learning systems, distance education, self study packages etc.
- Conducts research on trends in learning and development methodologies; updates, revises and integrates changes to curricula and learning methods and techniques.
- Prepares, maintains and updates training and instructional website.
- Designs and develops instructional materials and technical documentation for large complex systems.
- Liaises and works with Subject Matter Experts (SME) to: identify objectives, gather material, structure effective lessons and develop assessment tools appropriate for technical and trade audiences; writes, revises and edits training, work process and procedure documents from information provided by SME’s. Analyzes material for: logic, completeness, focus, clarity, grammar, spelling and punctuation. Consults with SME’s and Technical Trades Trainers to ensure accuracy and relevance of content to training; works with and facilities design teams and ensures timely development of training modules
- Performs minor duties related to the above duties that do not affect the rating of the job.
- Technical writing, adult education training and instructional techniques, training needs assessment methods, instructional material and package development, interactive delivery methods, instructional evaluation assessment and evaluation methods, project management, research methods, web browsers, personal computer and related desktop and application program operation knowledge is typically acquired through completion of a Bachelor level university degree program in a training and technical writing related program.
- A minimum of 4 years of previous experience in technical training and adult education curricula development with a demonstrated expertise in MS Word, PowerPoint, development and maintenance of templates, style sheets and the ability to program VBA macros is required. Excellent oral, writing, presentation/training and interpersonal communication skills.
- Must hold a valid class five (5) driver's license.
- This position is affiliated with the Movement of United Professionals union (MoveUP/COPE). http://moveuptogether.ca
- These positions are located at the Trades Training Centre in Surrey, BC.
- Experience with instructional design for eLearning and using Articulate Storyline 3 and Camtasia is considered an asset.
- Please note as part of the selection process, applicants may be asked to submit examples of their instructional design work; a portfolio of various instructional design projects to gauge instructional design skill. Applicants may also be asked to present their work as part of the interview.
- Occasional Travel to other office locations in the Lower Mainland or throughout the Province may be required.
- A condition of employment for this job is that you maintain your Class 5 Driver's License in good standing
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by March 28th, 2019.
To access the job posting, visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We act with integrity.
We respect our province.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Instructional Design: 1 year (Preferred)