Hi! The Ottawa Bagelshop and Deli was ottawa’s first Montreal-style Bagelshop. For the past 37 years we have been hand-rolling our bagels and baking them in a wood burning oven. If you like working with your hands, have physical strength and endurance, and want to learn the art of bagel-making, contact us today!
Shifts between 4:30am and 6pm, Monday through Sunday
- Making dough according to exact specifications.
- Rolling the perfect bagel within set time guidelines. Bagel must adhere to specified weight and size.
- Baking bagels in a wood burning oven. Bagels are moved through the oven using a sheba. Bagels must be baked perfected to a golden brown to ensure product quality and elimination of waste.
- Work with a team to ensure a proper production schedule is met. This involves balancing the need for hot bagels throughout the day along with wholesale production.
- Packing and sorting bagels for wholesale orders.
- Provide excellent customer service at every opportunity including when greeting and serving bagels to customers as required.
- Maintaining stock level of materials, wood, packaging, and other necessary tools throughout the shift
- General cleaning – The bagel area needs to be cleaned by all team members throughout the day and as closing duties. General sweeping and mopping also required.
- May be asked to assist with production of other Bagelshop products.
- Excellent hand dexterity.
- strength and endurance required – flour bags need to be carried up a flight of stairs and weigh 40lbs, bagel dough is 100lbs
- Must be able to bend at waist, squat, go up and down stairs
Good to have:
- Previous bagel rolling/baking experience.
- Previous baking experience.
- Previous food industry experience.
Job Type: Apprenticeship
- Discounted or free food
- On-site parking
- Store discount
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
All customers and staff are required to have a mask on at all times, with the exception of meals, where staff tables are far away from each other. Surfaces are cleaned regularly. Plexiglass separates customers from staff.
- baking: 1 year (Preferred)
- Driver’s license (Preferred)
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Plastic shield at work stations
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place