ABOUT ST. MARY’S UNIVERSITY:
St. Mary’s University is an innovative teaching and research university that provides affordable, accredited degrees in the
Liberal Arts, Sciences and Education. St. Mary’s is the only unaffiliated Catholic university in western Canada and celebrates
over 30 years as an educational institution.
Located on a historic site in Calgary, Alberta, our students are inspired to combine academics with a passionate
commitment to ethics, social justice and respect for diversity of opinion and belief. St. Mary’s has over 1000 full- and part-
time students, 150 full- and part-time faculty and staff, and an average class size of 25.
We are seeking a Communications & Events professional who is inspired by our mission, demonstrates a high level of
motivation, is willing to accept new challenges, and has the ability to balance diverse workloads to meet deadlines despite
pressure and periodic interruptions. The Communications & Events Officer will focus on event management and a variety of
communications, alumni and marketing projects.
In conjunction with the Advancement Office, will coordinate and manage special events and/or initiatives for the purposes
of building awareness, community engagement, recruitment, celebration, recognition and fundraising.
- Maintain St. Mary’s University’s integrity, branding, messaging, and mission.
- Collaborate closely and report to the Team Lead, Communications, Marketing & Media to strategize, create, schedule,
and post on social media channels to increase awareness and build meaningful connections.
- Plan and write content for internal and external messages, proposals, reports, and publications.
- Coordinate event logistics to volunteer event committee through the coordination of committee meetings; prepare
meeting materials, set up for meeting and minutes.
- Coordinate on-site event logistics.
- Coordinate and support virtual/online events
- Prepare and execute community outreach, and donor/supporter communications.
- Coordinate design and distribution of all communications materials as per the event.
- Create strategic plans for each event, including budgets, goals and identification of target audiences.
- 5 years of previous experience in event logistics, communications and/or fundraising.
- A diploma or certification in an applicable discipline (i.e. event management, communications, fundraising etc.).
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both written and orally), including integrity with sensitive and
- Excellent customer service ethic.
- Ability to multitask diverse workloads and projects.
- Proven ability to work successfully with volunteers and in event production.
- Familiarity with accounting as it relates to monitoring budgets and expenses.
- A track record of initiating and completing projects in a timely basis.
- A professional and outgoing manner and ability to interact tactfully and diplomatically with a wide variety of people.
- The ability to work within a team environment but also to work autonomously.
- Strong skills using Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint)
- Advanced skills for all social media platforms including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Canva,
- Proficiency with Microsoft Teams and Microsoft Online Events is an asset
- Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge, and Adobe Creative Suite programs is an asset.
- A valid Alberta Driver’s License.
- Flexibility with work schedule to allow for some meetings and events that may be held outside of normal working hours
(early mornings, evenings and weekends)
St. Mary's University offers a competitive compensation package and comprehensive benefits program. Compensation will
be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume, along with salary expectations to email@example.com with the Subject
“Communications & Events Officer” by end of day on February 19, 2021.
St. Mary’s University is passionate about building and sustaining an equitable and inclusive work environment for students, staff
and faculty, where diversity in all areas is celebrated and valued. We encourage any and all qualified individuals to apply. Priority
will be given to Canadians and permanent residents of Canada.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those applicants being interviewed will be contacted. No phone calls
St. Mary's University • 14500 Bannister Road SE • Calgary, AB • T2X 1Z4 • Fax: 403.254.3774 • STMU.ca