The University Hospital Foundation (UHF) believes in the power of generosity to save and change lives. The Foundation raises funds to ensure patients at the University of Alberta Hospital, the Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute and the Kaye Edmonton Clinic have access to the latest advancements in medical technology and innovative patient care. As a result of very generous individuals and community support, we have raised more than $332 million in the last 10 years to support patient care, advanced technology and clinical research.
If you have a keen interest in being a part of the future of healthcare in Alberta, please consider applying today!
The University Hospital Foundation is proud to have achieved Imagine Canada accreditation and High Performer status in both the “High Performer: Overall” and “High Performer: Teaching Hospital” categories from the Association for Healthcare Philanthropy. This recognition demonstrates UHF’s commitment to applying our mission – to advance excellence – to our governance, daily operations and financial integrity. In addition UHF is proud to be named one of Alberta’s Top 75 Employers in 2020, which recognizes employers that lead their industry in offering exceptional places to work and forward-thinking HR practices.
Reporting to the Vice President, Strategic Partnerships and Stakeholder Relations, the Director of Festival and Community Relations will provide leadership and direction for community engagement, community relations, and the Festival of Trees and is ultimately responsible leveraging events to push the UHF brand and value proposition, while pulling volunteers and supporters closer to our mission and purpose in healthcare.
The Director will support the organization's mission, vision, and values by facilitating projects related to a commitment to community relations including the Festival of Trees, an event that has served Edmonton and area for close to four decades and will focus on maintaining a positive relationship with University Hospital Foundation’s stakeholder and volunteer community.
- Acts as the Foundation liaison for the annual Festival of Trees event and the volunteer-led committees supporting that event
- Work with members of the fundraising teams to coordinate cultivation events and manage and execute donor events and special events that advance donor and sponsor involvement, cultivation and stewardship
- Work with Marketing and Communications team to coordinate and contribute to marketing and communications for the event;
- Work with Events team, and volunteers where applicable, to set the annual events Festival budget and monitor the budget throughout the year
- Seek to improve donor and sponsor relationships, cultivation and stewardship activities through regular and appropriate communication
- Negotiate agreements with outside Festival providers to manage cost and ensure the highest quality of service while managing, maintaining and determining budgetary recommendations for the fiscal year
Organizational Compliance & Reporting:
- Direct and oversee the development of a community relations program in concert with the Vice President, Strategic Partnerships and Stakeholder Relations
- Provide counsel to the Vice President and others regarding present and potential community relations concerns and/or opportunities for expanded community engagement
- Develop and maintain the budget related to Festival and community relations activity
- Advance UHF’s strategy to engage the community by cultivating community partnerships and deepening collaboration and engagement
- Lead effort to develop relationships with communities, associations and groups to stay connected to and focused on the changing diversity of the community
- Enhance the Foundation’s effectiveness at managing its network of relationships with other organizations
- Completion of a post-secondary degree
- A combination of education and experience will be considered
- Minimum five years’ experience
o demonstrating working knowledge of planning and execution of special events;
o community or stakeholder relations
o working with and providing leadership to volunteers in order to successfully execute projects or events
- Previous experience in revenue generation activities and demonstrated success with face-to-face solicitation for cash and in-kind support is an asset
- Solid knowledge of ethical principles and best practices relating to fundraising, donor relations and donor communications would be an asset;
- Strong track record of success with leading change and innovation
- Strong interpersonal skills and personal responsibility
- Thinks strategically and creatively about engaging stakeholders developing plans of action and following through
- Growth-minded and well-qualified to develop respectful partnerships with various internal and external partners
- Strong communication skills, effective team management, coordination and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational planning skills with the ability to initiate, collaborate, implement and advance activities
- Staff management and budget management experience is essential to this position
- Demonstrates an outgoing, positive, group-win approach and a willingness to learn, teach and share
- Excellent leadership, project management, organization, teamwork and negotiation skills
- Ability to communicate in a concise, professional and persuasive manner, both orally, in writing and via public presentations
- Successfully manages multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Develops and maintains cooperative, successful working relationships with staff, sponsors, donors and volunteers through exceptional influencing, tact and diplomacy skills
- Must be proactive and able to show initiative, be a self-starter, and energetic
- Demonstrates presence, self-confidence, sound judgment, and superior problem-solving ability
- Permanent, full time position
- Competitive comprehensive compensation package that incentivizes exceptional performance
To apply for this posting, please follow the link below to upload your cover letter and resume into one document. You will also be asked to complete a Culture Index Survey, which will help us to get to know you better and assess your fit for this position. We thank all candidates who apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The closing date for this posting is June 1, 2020 at 5:00 pm.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- planning and execution of events, revenue generation: 5 years (Preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19