Equal Opportunity Employer:
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
The Operations Management Trainee Opportunity
The WM Operations Management Trainee (OMT) training program is designed to develop individuals into frontline manager roles. This position is located at our site in Carp, ON (just outside of Ottawa). Our OMT program duration is 12-18 months and at the end of which, successful candidates should be willing to relocate within the province of Ontario.
Successful candidates will develop working knowledge of the WM day-to-day collection operations including:
Safety rules and practices
Functions of intra-company departments as it pertains to day to day business and long term goals (HR, Finance/Accounting, Customer Experience, Fleet, Dispatch).
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for learning MTO OSHA safety programs and systems; operational business processes, systems & tools; performance management; dispatch & routing; fleet maintenance processes.
- Partners with drivers on existing routes to develop job related skills.
- Collaborates with all frontline managers to learn the day-to-day business operations (i.e. Operations Improvement Manager, Fleet Manager, Sales Manager, District Managers, Route Managers).
- Works with local safety teams to continue to create a safety conscious culture.
- Completes the assigned OMT training curriculum and all other assigned trainings.
- Performs periodic leadership / management responsibilities throughout the program.
What It Takes
- Bachelor's Degree, OR in lieu of degree a High School Diploma, GED or High School Equivalency plus 2 years of relevant work experience.
- 2 years of supervisory/leadership experience (in addition to education).
- Valid G class Driver’s License and a clean driving record.
- Must be able to maintain a valid driver’s license and clean driving record throughout the duration of employment in this position.
- Must be willing to relocate within an assigned geographic area at the conclusion of the training program (Ontario).
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite of programs and comfortable learning new programs
- Ability to work flexible start times (Starting at 3am)
- Must be able to ride in vehicle for up to 12 hours or sit at a desk for up to 12 hours per day.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Must have exceptional time management and organizational skills.
While some of the OMT work is performed within an office atmosphere, frequent field assignments are the core foundation of the position. When conducting field assignments, you will be required to ascend into and descend from commercial vehicles (typically steps are 18 inches in height) and ride in commercial vehicles for over 12 consecutive hours.
What’s In It For You!
At WM, our employees receive a competitive total compensation package! This includes comprehensive self-directed benefits, paid vacation, discounted WM stock purchase and participation in our RRSP contribution/matching program. This opportunity allows you exposure to a vast variety of Operations functions and assists in personal growth development. With successful completion of this exciting and comprehensive exposure to the world of Waste Management, doors open for future opportunities within our great organization.