This is an opportunity to volunteer from home. Reporting to the Certified Listener Program Manager all volunteers are carefully screened and fully trained prior to taking emotional support chats. Throughout their volunteering experience, volunteers receive ongoing professional support and in-service education sessions. Experienced volunteers gain many life and communication skills which translate into other aspects of their daily lives.
What will you do:
You will be an online chat responder providing emotional support on our online chat platform.
· Providing immediate and confidential support (chat, etc.) using agency procedures and policies
· Providing information and referrals when appropriate
· Understanding what to do if you are concerned about a person’s safety
· Work with callers/chatters, volunteers, and staff in a respectful and professional manner
· Letting callers know your listening and someone cares
· Letting the person know there is someone here to provide individual support
What will you NOT be doing:
· Certified Listeners are not therapists or hold themselves out to be
· Telling people what to do or how they should live their lives
· You are not providing crisis intervention
· You are not providing addiction counseling
To work tree 4-hour shift per week (12 hours per week) for a period of at least 4 months (or a comparable number of hours) after successful completion of screening and training.
There is flexibility in scheduling, and you will be able to choose weekly shifts that best suite you from six designated times.
What are we looking for:
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to build a relationship and convey empathy and emotion through an online platform
- Capacity to remain calm and effective in challenging situations
- Non-judgmental and accepting of diverse values and beliefs
- Reliability and punctuality
- Ability to work independently
- Good self-awareness and common sense
- Emotional resilience, stability and maturity
- Proficiency in the English language – specially written
- Open to feedback and continuous development
- Access to a computer with reliable internet connectivity
- Access to a private space at home for the duration of your volunteering shift
- Adherence to Certified Listeners Society policies, procedures and online chat guidelines
- Ability to support Certified Listeners Society philosophy of empowering individuals
What will be expected of you:
- Two references (professional, academic or volunteer-related)
- Police reference check, including vulnerable sector screening
- Successful completion of all comprehensive Core Competencies training programs, quizzes, and screening process
- Reliability in fulfilling weekly shift commitments
- Comply with Certified Listeners Society policies and procedures and our Code of Ethics
- Maintain a confidential workplace as well as confidentiality about your work
- Sign and comply to our Volunteer Non-Disclosure Agreement
- Participation in ongoing training and work relation development opportunities
What you can expect from us:
We at Certified Listeners Society provide training, protocols, policies and policies, proprietary software, support and supervision to help volunteers fulfill their roles.
What’s in it for you
Helping people in need in your very own community is tremendously rewarding. Online emotional support is a unique opportunity to help others, while also developing and enhancing your own communication skills valuable in everyday personal and professional life.
Other benefits include:
- Make tangible differences in others’ lives and feel connected to the community
- Gain experience and confidence in supporting others
- Develop your communication and social skills and gain perspectives, or self-awareness
- Be a part of a supportive team
- Feeling good about yourself
- Training in emotional support
- Staying informed on current social issues
- Volunteering experience in an organization where diversity is welcomed and encouraged
- Experience towards a career in social work, psychology, community outreach, etc.
- Certified Listeners Training Certificate upon finishing the e-training course
Reference ID: COVID-19 Volunteer-002
Part-time hours: 4 per week
Job Type: Volunteer