The Roberts/Smart Centre (RSC) is looking for enthusiastic experienced and highly skilled people to provide therapeutic programming and activities for 2 of our Live-in Treatment Programs, ensuring that the youth’s and family’s culture, interests and treatment are the primary consideration.
Join a team that is small enough for you to make a difference but large enough to improve the province’s youth mental health. This is a permanent position, with a generous total rewards package of 3 weeks’ vacation in the first year, sick leave, family responsibility leave, group life/LTD/health/dental benefits and a defined contribution pension plan (HOOPP).
Requires late afternoon and evening work with a flexible schedule available.
RSC has provided mental health treatment programs for Ottawa-based youth and youth throughout the province. We serve youth through a family-centred, inclusive and community-based approach.
COORDINATOR - ACTIVITIES, PROGRAMMING AND CULTURE
A member of the RSC Management team, the Coordinator manages the therapeutic programming and activities for a RSC Live in Treatment Program, ensuring that the youth’s and family’s culture, interests and treatment are the primary consideration.
Major responsibilities are as follows:
1. Together with the Live in Treatment Program Coordinator, responsible for the management, direction, coaching, supervision, training, mentorship, evaluation and development of youth counselling staff.
- Participates in Team Meetings to assist the treatment team in program implementation and delivery through ongoing coaching and program evaluation.
- Works closely with the Program Coordinator and Program Clinician, with the assistance of Youth Counselling staff, to develop ideas for improvements in the program that may contribute to improved quality and diversity of all therapeutic programming within the Centre.
2. Ensures that each youth and family is consulted and participates in treatment goals related to activities, programming and culture for the youth while in treatment and while transitioning to their next placement or home.
3. Assists in the implementation of the Plan of Care with Program Coordinator, the Program Clinician, youth and families.
4. Following an assessment of needs with the Program Clinician, designs and implements recreational/leisure time activities for the youth group in the program, as a whole, as well as for the individual youth.
5. Develops and leads skills groups with the treatment team for youth in the programs.
6. Participates, with clinical staff, in the design and implementation of educational support programs
7. Seeks out and establishes community partnerships to provide an enhanced cultural component to existing programming and develop new cultural programs for youth in RSC programs.
- Engages in community education activities providing information relating to children’s mental health issues to external agencies and interest groups.
- Works collaboratively to foster alternative community support networks which will obviate the need for long-term live-in treatment.
8. Provides On-Call services, on a rotating basis, with other management team members.
Qualification, skills, aptitude and ability criteria:
1. CAAT diploma, or university degree applicable to the human services field, mental health field or therapeutic recreation.
2. Broad knowledge of the youth counselling/social services field an asset.
- Demonstrated interest and superior performance in the following areas:
- Knowledge of designing and implementing culturally relevant programs and activities in a congregate living setting
- Working within a multidisciplinary team
- Organizational skills
- Leadership, problem solving and decision making
- Program planning and implementation.
3. Minimum 5 years’ experience working within the youth counselling/social services field. Experience working within a live-in treatment setting considered an asset.
4. Experience working with Indigenous, Métis, Inuit and other cultural groups preferred.
5. Broad knowledge and understanding of Gender Identity and Expression, and Sexual Orientation.
6. Management experience in the areas of supervision and coaching of teams.
7. Bilingual in both official languages (French and English)
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $63,450.00-$67,227.00 per year
- Casual Dress
- Company Pension
- Dental Care
- Disability Insurance
- Extended Health Care
- Flexible Schedule
- Life Insurance
- On-site Parking
- Paid Time Off
- Vision Care
- 8 Hour Shift
- Monday to Friday
RSC has put in extensive safety precautions to mitigate risk in all of our Live-in Treatment programs as well as our community programs. These include physical distancing measures, enhanced cleaning and screening and appropriate PPE.
- mental health programming: 5 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)
- French and English (Required)