COMPANY - EXPERTISE
CEM (Cogeneration and Energy Management) is an industry leading thermal power engineering firm with over 40 discipline engineers, designers and support staff and continues to grow. CEM provides a full range of services to clients in the Industrial and MUSH (Municipal, Universities, Schools, Hospital) sectors, and has significant expertise, in:
- Energy management
- Power generation
- Emissions controls
- District energy
In addition to providing consulting, detailed design, contract administration, procurement, construction management and commissioning services, CEM also works with their clients to help develop their projects providing expertise in permitting requirements and leveraging available energy management financial incentives.
COMPANY – GROWTH & LOCATION
CEM was established in 2001 with its home office currently located in St. Catharines Ontario. During the past 5 years, CEM has experience substantial growth and continues to expand its portfolio of active clients and projects. In order to address this ongoing growth trend, a newly established Oakville satellite office has recently been established.
The Construction Manager will act as CEM’s on-site representative to direct and manage CEM construction projects from inception to full operation, while ensuring CEM’s clients are satisfied with CEM’s on-site performance and safety leadership.
CEM exists to help our Clients achieve their energy and environmental goals. CEM’s engineering projects and EPCM projects include combined heat and power (CHP) and other projects, typically in the range of 1 MW to 50 MW.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the construction project(s) from commencement to completion, according to project schedule, specifications, and budget
- Provides overall leadership and oversees construction project(s)
- Performs detailed and accurate project progress measurements
- Supports or leads negotiations with owner and trade contractors
- Analyze, forecast, manage and mitigate risks (involving Client and/or CEM senior leadership as required)
- Provide input to proposals, estimates, and budgets
- Leadership and active participant in a professional change /claim management process
- Direct the purchase of materials, tools, equipment, trade services and track inventory
- Review the work progress on daily basis and maintain a site log
- Prepare internal and external reports pertaining to job status
- Plan ahead to prevent problems and resolve any emerging ones
- Ensure quality construction standards and the use of proper construction techniques
- Hiring and supervising the activities of subcontractors and staff
- Represents CEM Engineering in a professional and positive manner
- Maintain, nurture, and grow relationship with clients involved with project(s)
- Interfaces with project team, client, consultants and coordinates construction workers and subcontractors, as required
- Understands and enforces the contract and contract documents
- Ensure project meets contractual conditions of performance
- Plan and prepare construction schedules and monitor progress against established schedules
- Prepare progress reports and issue progress schedules to clients
- Review the project in-depth to schedule deliverables and estimate costs
Health and Safety
- Takes a leadership role in on-site health and safety to ensure that safety requirements are met for workers
- Monitors and models safety on the construction site. Coordinates with the safety consultant on a regular basis to ensure safety compliance is met
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Proven working experience in construction management preferably in the construction of combined heat and power plants involving civil, structural, mechanical and electrical trades
- Advanced knowledge of construction management processes, means and methods
- Expert knowledge of building products, construction details and relevant rules, regulations and quality standards
- Supervisory safety training credentials
- Familiarity with OHSA construction site safety regulations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to utilize sound professional judgement
- Competent in conflict and crisis management
- Familiarity with cogeneration systems between 20 kW and 50 MW, and familiarity with combustion gas turbine generator and internal combustion engine prime movers and heat and steam recovery
- 10+ years of relevant experience, with leadership and managing construction projects
- Post secondary education or training in engineering, construction management (Professional Construction Management designation preferred) or a related discipline.
- Demonstrates strong problem-solving and decision making skills
- Demonstrated flexibility and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Valid driver’s license
KEY RESULTS AREAS
- Client’s expectations are exceeded for each project for which a Construction Manager is responsible.
- Projects for which the Construction Manager is responsible are completed on-time, safely, fully compliant, and on-budget.
- All identified project risks are elevated to client or CEM Project Manager for assessment and mitigation.
- Current project location is in Windsor. Travel will be required.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right candidate! Would you be interested in joining our team? Send us your cover letter and resume.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
- Construction Management: 10 years (Required)
- Project Management Professional (Preferred)
- read and write English proficiently (Required)