As the Managing Lawyer, PLC, you will manage an office and lead a team consisting of staff lawyer(s), paralegal/advocate(s) and administrative legal assistant(s), working to assist parents with child protection matters to reach early collaborative resolutions where appropriate.
The Parents Legal Centre takes a holistic approach early in the child protection process to help families stay together whenever appropriate. The PLC supports parents to resolve not only their legal matter but also the underlying non-legal issues, such as housing or addictions, which often contribute to protection concerns in the first place. Better outcomes may be achieved when parents access legal advice and support at the early stages in their interaction with child protection authorities.
Who We Are:
The Legal Services Society (LSS) is the provincial legal aid provider in British Columbia. As a non-profit organization, our goal is to provide legal information, advice, and representation services to people with low incomes in BC. We assist some of BC’s most vulnerable and marginalized citizens: those who do not have the financial, educational, social or health resources to effectively access the justice system when their families, freedom, or safety are at risk.
As a PLC Managing Lawyer, you will:
- Provide advice and representation to PLC clients on child protection matters;
- Assess cases for their appropriateness to the PLC and endeavour to resolve appropriate cases prior to the trial scheduling date;
- Be familiar with identifying both the issues that clients face outside the traditional legal context and the resources available to assist clients with these issues;
- Work collaboratively with Director’s counsel, social workers, family support workers, and other participants in the child protection system;
- Attend at collaborative processes, including mediations;
- Attend at case conferences and court appearances;
- Work in collaboration with PLC team, including management, supervision and mentorship of staff reporting to you (PLC lawyer(s), paralegal/advocate(s), and administrative legal assistant(s));
- Oversee and assist in outreach activities and building relationships with Indigenous communities and other service providers;
- Ensure adherence to policies, procedures and performance metrics and preparing reports;
- Travel as required to provide services in select satellite locations;
- Be familiar with practices and procedures at the relevant Provincial Court(s) (desirable);
- Be familiar with local support resources for parents involved in child protection matters (desirable).
As the Ideal Candidate you will have:
- a degree from a law school of recognized standing;
- membership in good standing with the Law Society of British Columbia, or be eligible for membership;
- minimum of five (5) years experience primarily in family and child protection law;
- experience in supporting clients to prepare for and participate in mediation or other collaborative processes;
- minimum three (3) years management/supervisory experience or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- familiarity with practices and procedures at the relevant Provincial Court(s);
- familiarity with local support resources for parents involved in child protection matters;
- an understanding of Indigenous issues, culture as well as Indigenous community groups and agencies, and current issues affecting Indigenous communities.
A competitive annual salary, as well as a comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Four weeks paid vacation to start that grows the longer you are with LSS
- An excellent employee benefits package, where premiums are 100% paid by LSS
- A generous pension plan
- Support for training and development
- An Employee and Family Assistance program
- The opportunity to participate in various Employee programs (Employee Wellness, etc.)
- Generous leave provisions (sick time, special leaves)
- 13 paid statutory holidays
For more information please see LSS website for the position(s) posting with full job requirements: https://www.lss.bc.ca/general/currentVacancies.php
Interested candidates should submit a covering letter, together with a résumé, outlining how their qualifications meet the position requirements and quote which competition they are applying.
VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT www.legalaid.bc.ca
Open until filled.
The Legal Services Society is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce reflective of Canadian Society. We are committed to employment equity and encourage applications from indigenous people, visible minorities, women and persons with disabilities. Preference will be given to applicants of indigenous ancestry that meet the requirements for the position.
We would like to thank all external applicants for their interest but regret that only those shortlisted will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent