304-32 Vegreville Dakota House
WJS Canada Disability Supports helps people with diverse abilities and autism become ?active in their communities and reach the highest possible levels of independence.
In Your Role You Will
- Help individuals achieve and maintain their independence, support their strengths and encourage integration into the community.
- Model &/or when required, provide personal care i.e. grooming, dental care, bathing, toileting, etc.,
- Teach/assist the individual to complete daily household tasks (groceries, food preparation, laundry, cleaning, etc.)
- Behaviour, emotional and mental health supports.
- Encourage participation and social interaction within the community (vocational, recreational, leisure activities)
- Drive individual in your own vehicle to appointments, day programs, community events, etc..
- Full job description available upon request
Following the individual care plans, the Disability Support Worker (DSW) supports persons with developmental disabilities, Autism, FASD, with anything from personal care to managing a complex behavior or life skills training for individuals transitioning into independent living and away from group care or the family home.
For complex needs programs, where challenging behaviours may occur on a daily basis, the rate of $20.09+/hr reflects the requirement for additional supports/experience . The regular rate of $17.09+/hr is paid for training/meetings/non-complex needs work.
Criminal Record Check/Ministry Check Statement
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
- A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right to define/pursue their life choices, and participate in community events, employment and recreation.
- MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License, clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle with suitable insurance.
- Minimum Grade 12 Diploma/GED
- 1 year experience working with individuals with autism, developmental disabilities, behavior management. (Special Education Assistant, Personal Support Worker, Health Care Aide, etc. will be considered)
- Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
- First Aid/CPR Certification
- Will receive training in Crisis Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Suicide Prevention, etc.
What WJS Canada does
We are a close-knit national social services agency, that provides community-based services to children and families, persons with developmental disabilities, at-risk youth and young offenders, designed to foster positive life changes and increase self-esteem. Over the past 30 years, we've grown to over 700 dedicated staff, in 3 provinces, who serve approximately 1,600 persons through over 125 services
Our Employees Enjoy
- Employer-paid Dental & Extended Health benefits
- Staff training and opportunities to learn/work in a wide array of programs.
- An empowering balance of independence and supervision.
- Best practices programming and innovative client care.
For more information on WJS Canada visit our website:
We recognize that equity diversity and inclusion (EDI) is an important element in our work and in our day to day lives.
No telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.