What can I expect to do in this role?
Assist in the research, analysis and synthesis of program data, records, jurisdictional scans and other sources of information to inform evidence-based policy development and interpretation with respect to water resources and the Great Lakes.
How do I qualify?
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:Knowledge:
Analytical and Research Skills:
- Demonstrated knowledge of legislation and policy.
- Knowledge of water resources and management legislation and related regulations and policies.
- Knowledge and understanding of policy and program development, research and analytical approaches and techniques.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Good judgment and interpersonal skills.
- Gather, summarize and interpret information from sources such as information systems, websites and jurisdictional scans to inform the development of evidence-based policies.
- Develop of options and recommendations on policies with respect to water resources.
- Liaise with other branches and ministries on policy projects and networks, and assist staff in consulting with other MNRF staff, other Ontario ministries, Indigenous communities and organizations, and other governments to contribute to policy development and interpretation.
- Prepare technical reports, discussion papers, correspondence, presentation materials, briefing notes, analyses and other written communications to support the development and interpretation of policies.
- Assess implications and potential effects of proposed changes to current government policies and programs.
- Assist in developing and maintaining effective information management systems including research files and databases, electronic tracking/filing systems and hard copy records, and identifying opportunities to improve the management of information.
- Participate in reviews of relevant policy materials led by other MNRF programs.
- Working knowledge of computer software packages including MS-Excel, MS Word, MS Access;
Successful candidates may be required to undergo an employment screening check in accordance with the Ontario Employment Screening Checks Policy.
- Proof of eligibility to work in Canada;
- Has graduated or will graduate from an approved or legally authorized college or university with a degree, postgraduate certificate or diploma within the last four years;
- Candidates are only eligible to participate in one MNRF 12-month placement and must not have participated in the MNRF internship program in the past.
1 Temporary, duration up to 12 months, 300 Water St, Peterborough, East Region
Ontario Public Service Employees Union
Understanding the job ad - definitions
Friday, April 3, 2020