Northern Zone, Aberdeen Hospital
MHA NZ Mental Health - First Nations ARH
Type of Employment:
Permanent Hourly FT (100% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Posting Closing Date:
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
Health Care Social Workers provide a diverse range of interventions to clients and their families, enabling them to achieve their optimal level of functioning and health. These interventions include: psychosocial assessments, adjustment therapy, supportive therapy, crisis counselling, resource counselling, and discharge planning and case management.
Health Care Social Workers are actively involved in advocacy, education, program planning, consultation and collaboration on behalf of individuals/groups within the institution and community. The role is multifaceted and dynamic, requiring each Social Worker to work autonomously as well as collaboratively within interdisciplinary teams
This role requires a licensed professional who practices in accordance with a set of National/Provincial Standards and Code of Ethics and Department Procedures, Policies and Standards. The Health Care Social Worker is responsible for supervising undergraduate and graduate students in work placements. The Health Care Social Worker provides consultation based upon an advanced level of educa1ion (MSW) which includes an integrated knowledge of the social, structural, emotional, psychological and cultural factors tha1 afTcc1 well-being. The Job Fact Sheet describes a range of practice. It incorporates entry level practitioners to those with advanced levels of practice. This range is associated with the education level, years of experience and professional development of workers within the department.
- Master's degree in Social Work from a recognized university
- Current registration with the NSCSW
- 2 years related clinical experience required
- Knowledge and understanding of the Diagnostic & Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM)
- Ability to reach a joint formulation with the client and family
- Demonstrated experience integrating various psychotherapeutic approaches such as cognitive behavior therapy, solution focused therapy, and/or motivational interviewing in both individual and group work
- Advanced psychotherapy skills; including in brief therapies
- Demonstrated experience providing group treatment
- Ability to complete mental health assessments using DSM formulations.
- Excellent communication skills
- Awareness of local community resources and agencies would be considered an asset
- Valid Nova Scotia Driver's license and access to a reliable vehicle
- Ability to demonstrate effective time management and disciplined self-organization
- Demonstrated comfort and skills working collaboratively with community partners
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
- Successful external applicants are required to provide a criminal record check (including Vulnerable Sector Search) to People Services before starting employment and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment.
Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must clearly state such equivalencies in their cover letter, resume, or application. Additionally, candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Hours of Work
Permanent, Full Time (100%) Position; 75 hours bi-weekly
Some travel is required.
Health Care Social Worker (Masters)
$34.99 - $45.99 hourly
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
Successful external applicants will be required to submit the below documents and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment. Additional documentation such as banking & proof of identity will be included in your offer letter.
Criminal Record Check
Proof of education & training certifications
Proof of any additional required qualification
Valid registration with the relevant licensing body
Submission of immunization record along with health assessment documentation
Proof of SIN number
Hiring Process will depend on the timeliness of delivering the above. This is a Healthcare bargaining unit - CUPE position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment. Only online applications are accepted.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.