North99 is Canada’s most viral online progressive media group, reaching 5-10 million Canadians every month. We advance progressive policies and ideas through media, advocacy, and campaigns. We are an independent movement of hundreds of thousands of Canadians working to transform Canada for the many, not the richest few.
North99 is seeking a part-time newsletter writer to join our team, helping create and manage a daily newsletter covering progressive issues ignored by the corporate press. This is an exciting opportunity for anyone looking to try their hand at building an exciting new media publication.
You will be creating and managing a daily newsletter that will go out every afternoon to tens of thousands of subscribers. You will be responsible for creating a unique voice for the publication, as well as determining what content should be included. You will manage the entire email from ideation to launch.
The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of Canadian politics, society and culture, and have previous experience writing at a media outlet, non-profit or advocacy organization. Attention to detail is key. You are someone who enjoys crafting engaging prose, is self-directed and cares deeply about building a better country for the 99%.
- Manage the editorial process for the daily newsletter
- Develop a proposed set of content to cover for North99 team members to review
- Write, copy-edit and manage the newsletter
- Setup and send the email in our email newsletter platform and on our website
- Proofread and edit to ensure proper grammar and spelling
- Propose new ideas to improve the newsletter
- Review analytics and run A/B tests to determine possible improvements
- Previous experience writing in a professional setting, including journalism, charity, advocacy or a nonprofit
- Experience with newsletter writing is preferred, but not required
- Exceptional ability in copywriting and editing
- High proficiency in English
- Attention to detail and accuracy. North99 is a small operation and requires individuals with strong attention to detail and facts.
- At least 2 years of writing experience, or equivalent skillset
IMPORTANT: Applicants will only be considered if a writing sample is provided.
Compensation: You will be compensated $100 per email newsletter, but we are also open to an hourly arrangement. This could transition into a full-time job.
Part-time hours: 20 per week
Job Types: Part-time, Freelance
Salary: $500.00 per week
- writing: 2 years (Required)