The City of Richmond is committed to be the most appealing, livable, well-managed community in Canada, a goal that is only made possible by developing our most valuable asset – our people. This is a great opportunity to join our team and shape our community. The City of Richmond offers competitive pay programs, comprehensive benefits and attractive incentives. If you are looking to make a difference, and to share our vision “to be the most appealing, livable, and well-managed community in Canada”, then please apply.
This position combines both clerical and inspection related duties to ensure compliance with the rules and regulations of the Business Liaison Division. This position involves clerical support for the day to day operations of the department which includes: processing enquiries regarding licensing related matters; receiving and classifying licence applications; calculating and collecting fees; entering and retrieving information from the business license information system; monitoring, recording and completing remuneration reports for commercial decals sold; producing and mailing monthly welcome letters; and routine field inspections as assigned. Duties also include exercising a considerable degree of judgement, action and tact in dealing with the public and within the limits of the by-laws, procedures, rules and regulations
- Verify information given on business licence inspections, check documentation, check zoning, determine fees and assign inspection process
- Download, update and submit reports for IMBL’s, Online Business Directory, inspection requests among others;
- Perform field checks on businesses with unpaid licence fees or to confirm operations;
- Respond to customer service inquiries and complaints by e-mail or phone call;
- Process and issue applications for Night Market business licences and produce weekly reports;
- Produce Mayor’s letters for all new businesses;
- Research and respond to all request for comfort letters or confirmation of business licence requirements;
- Provide administrative assistance to staff in the Business Licence Department; and
- Assist at the Front Counter responding to customer when required.
- Sound working knowledge of the Richmond Zoning Bylaw and the City’s various bylaws, regulations, policies, practices and procedures as related to business licencing.
- Ability to conduct routine inspections independently in the field.
- Ability to provide timely and quality information and services in response to requests and the ability to interpret, explain and make decisions in accordance with applicable policies, procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and the ability to exercise professionalism and tact.
- Ability to multi-task, identify and adapt to changing priorities for self and staff to meet customer service standards and deadlines with accuracy, in an environment with frequent interruptions, changes or other pressures.
- Proven skills as a fast-paced, detail-oriented, and well-organized, individual.
- Ability to make discretionary decisions, take initiative and exercise independent thought and good judgement.
- Ability to work effectively to meet goals individually and collaboratively.
- Ability to use software applications required for the work, such as Amanda, Tempest, and GIS interactive maps.
- Intermediate skill with Microsoft Office programs including Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Ability to use records classification and management systems (e.g. Richmond UCRS and REDMS).
- Ability to successfully pass a Police Information Check.
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent, plus one (1) year of additional job-related courses in business administration, bylaw enforcement, land use planning or public administration.
- A minimum of two (2) years job-related work experience, inclusive of field inspections and/or bylaw enforcement experience is required. Knowledge of municipal zoning regulations is required. Experience working in a local government setting is preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s Licence for the Province of British Columbia.
Work is performed mostly in an office environment. Mental concentration and visual effort is required on a regular basis. Exposure to disagreeable or poor weather conditions, unpleasant situations involving angry or frustrated customers/business operators may be experienced in this position. Incumbent will be required to conduct site visits when necessary.
CUPE Local 718
Duration of Appointment:
$31.31 - $36.85
Hours of Work:
8:15 - 5:00pm Monday to Friday on a compressed work-week schedule.
Flexibility on working hours is required which will include weekend work (either Saturday or Sunday, on a compressed work-week schedule)
External Closing Date: