Are you a dynamic, results oriented individual looking to join an organization committed to service delivery excellence? Then we would like to hear from you. As an employee at the health unit you will be treated fairly and with dignity and respect. The health unit provides a positive work environment where you are engaged, can freely exchange ideas, communicate openly, be innovative and are encouraged to practice work-life balance.
At the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit, we are champions of health for all. Our staff works with individuals and families, agencies and communities in Simcoe Muskoka to promote and protect health, and to prevent disease and injury.
The health unit is governed by the Board of Health and is funded municipally and provincially. Guided by our strategic plan and our core values, we work with you toward achieving an important vision – to see the people who live, work and play in Simcoe Muskoka leading healthy, fulfilling and productive lives.
Public health activities are also guided by the Ontario Public Health Standards.
Overview of the Position:
To provide clinical dental assisting duties, including intra-oral duties in the Healthy Smiles Ontario Dental Clinics, at the Gravenhurst location.
The assigned position location will be the Gravenhurst office, however, the position orientation and training will take place at the Barrie Clinic. This position is for one day per week with additional hours as needed.
Provide assistance to the Dentist and Dental Hygienist in the clinic settings;
- Sets up and closes dental operatories daily;
- Prepares solutions for use in the clinics;
- Cleans and disinfects dental operatories and reprocesses dental instruments in accordance with IPAC standards;
- Assists dentist and dental hygienist in clinical duties at chairside, such as handing instruments, mixing dental materials, suctioning, taking radiographs and assisting with patient management as required;
- Processes radiographs and documents clinical findings;
- Under the supervision of a Registered Dental Hygienist/Dentist, provide intra-oral preventive services including topical fluoride application and pit and fissure sealant application, as well as taking impressions and preparing study models;
- Performs various clerical duties, which include booking appointments, submitting, and reconciling dental claims.
Contribute to team and agency effectiveness.
- Works collaboratively as a member of the team; contributes to positive team functioning;
- Assists service, program and functional units in carrying out their mandates;
- Demonstrates commitment to, and functions in a way that is consistent with, the Agency mission, vision, values and strategic directions;
- Respects and ensures confidentiality in all work performed on behalf of the Agency;
- Demonstrates a strong customer service focus in dealing both internally and externally;
- Participates on Agency-related committees as assigned;
- Understands the need to become redeployed and/or reassigned as part of the public health response to an emergency or natural disaster.
Specific knowledge, skills, abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of dental assisting and infection prevention and control standards;
- Intermediate oral and written communication skills, including electronic documentation (Cleardent);
- Intermediate interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain consistent, accurate documentation and to apply effective & efficient research methodology;
- Basic skills in Microsoft Word and Outlook;
- Reliable vehicle or the ability to travel in a timely and efficient manner to locations within and outside the health unit district.
- Level II Dental Assistant Certificate attained through a Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada accredited program.
- Must hold a National Dental Assisting Examining Board Certificate and be annually certified by the Ontario Dental Assistants Association.
- 1-3 years relevant experience in dental assisting, including infection prevention and control standards.
Preference will be given to candidates with the following qualifications which are considered assets in this competition:
- Previous experience working with Cleardent or another electronic/paperless documentation practices.
Visit our website at www.simcoemuskokahealth.org for the email address to send in your resume and cover letter.
Include Posting #19-46 in the subjecting line.
Due to the large volume of applications we receive, and to ensure your application is given due consideration, we kindly request all applications for this position include both an up-to-date resume, and a detailed cover letter including specific examples of how you meet the required qualifications and skills for this position. The cover letter is to clearly identify:
- How your education meets the educational requirements listed.
- How your experience meets the experience requirements listed.
- How your experience meets each of the required knowledge, skills and abilities listed.
- How your education and/or experience meet each of the listed assets, which are considered preferences.
Applicants who fail to satisfactorily provide the information requested above in their cover letter will be deemed to not meet the minimum job requirements listed in this job posting. Accordingly, their application will not be considered in this competition.
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
Salary: $31.82 to $35.65 /hour
- dental assisting: 1 year (Required)
- Cleardent: 1 year (Preferred)
- Ontario Dental Assistants Association (Required)
- National Dental Assisting Examining Board Certificate (Required)
- Dental Assistant Level II (Required)